best way to launch?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: best way to launch?

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

Default best way to launch?

like the title says i was wondering what is the best way to launch when you are racing?
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Default Re: best way to launch?

. . . in a faster car

5. Remove Advertisements
    Hyundai Elantra XD
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Cypher knows a lot about Elantras Cypher's Avatar

thx but i've seen that before... anything more specfic for our cars though? like personal experiences
    2002 Hyundai Elantra: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Hatch SR Swapped: Sold
    1992 Toyota MR2: Sold
    1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe: Future KA-T
    1999 Hyundai Tiburon: Daily Driver

tWiSt AnD sCoRe aLoNe I bReAk has not yet proved knowledgeable aLoNe I bReAk's Avatar

I was able to get the best launch from about 4500 rpm. I didn't dump the clutch, as that would result in just spinning tires. Instead, I let out the clutch to the point where the car grabbed and then floored it. This method will burn your clutch some, but I was able to get my best launches this way, with no tire spin and no lag.

do you have an auto or manual?? thats some critical information. also, do you have TCS?

Ultimate Post Whore FordFasteRR can identify a wrench FordFasteRR's Avatar

with my car, a good launch is about 3500 rpms to almost 4000 with lots of wheel spin and lots of wheel hop..

i got my best time that way..

but this is on a track with that sticky stuff, so even spinning out of the hole it hooked up good..

the problem is preventing the engine from bogging... you will have a faster 1/4 mile time if you don't bog the motor down even if you spin out of the hole...

if you bog, you lose.
    Last edited by FordFasteRR; 07-28-2005 at 10:34 AM.

whats best way to launch a autotragic

The best way? Well, it's mean to the auto, but anyway, throw it in 1st, put your left foot on the brake and push it all the way down. Start feeding it gas until the brakes are just holding the car. When it's go time just let go of the brake and then upshift yourself everytime it hits redline. If you just want to go have fun, just throw it in drive and hit the gas when the last yellow lights up.

Ultimate Post Whore FordFasteRR can identify a wrench FordFasteRR's Avatar

from my experience with my j2 elantra , this is what you should do for maximum launch power ..

1. put it in drive like normal.
    2. press the brake pedal down HARD.
    3. press the gas down, watch the rpm needle..
    4. when the car feels like its gonna creep forward, let the gas off 1 mm until its not creeping.
    5. hold it there until you are ready to launch..

now here is the best part. just before you launch, shash the gas pedal all the way down while still holding the brake and then let the brake go.

that should give you a nice chirp and some wheel spin out of the hole ..

you should hook shortly after that and just go like a rocket with no fuel !

Senior Member dragonfighter60 has not yet proved knowledgeable dragonfighter60's Avatar

As said before though, its harsh on a transmission. (from what I understand) And please... never do a neutral drop.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfighter60
    As said before though, its harsh on a transmission. (from what I understand) And please... never do a neutral drop.
    did that 3 times and will never do it again lmao

3 neutral drops in the XD?!

Resident "Emo" Kid OPZ has picked up a wrench

I've done them before also, around 3, and never, never, NEVER will do it again, even though i desperatly want a 5-speed. I think its how I did them that saved the tranny... rev it up, and wait for the rpm to go DOWN and then drop it around 3k. One would think thats safer then revving up to the red line and then dropping...
    Resident "Emo" Kid's 2001 XD <- old auto, RIP

Resident "Emo" Kid's 2002 XD <- RIP

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS View Post
    The original video might as well be of Dave and Reece in a cave because I can't see ****.

Countersteer forever SWortham has not yet proved knowledgeable

With a 5-speed, I would do a hard launch at 4K rpm's. It depends on your tires and on how strong your car is that day. But in my case it seemed to really pull well when launched like that without hesitating and without spinning the tires too much.

I don't and can't do that anymore though because my clutch won't grab as hard as it used to.
    Last edited by SWortham; 07-28-2005 at 02:58 PM.
    "Some say that his left foot is made of soap and that he once wrestled an Elk with his bare hands. All we know is they call him Bob."

Click here to see pictures of the old ride.

For the sake of all that is mechanically sound and true, never ever perform a neutral drop. And that's not directed at you OPZ or Gun5 as you both said you already know better, but to anyone who has an auto and wants a better launch, neutral drops are not the answer.

neutral drop is from neutral to first right? liek reving and then just throwing it in gear?

Indeed, it's the second worse thing you can do an automatic transmission. The worst being dropping it off a 100 foot cliff.

In da game for a while... DAILLESTWUN has not yet proved knowledgeable DAILLESTWUN's Avatar

The best way to make sure the brake is pressed all the way is to pump it like 2 or 3 times. Then do as they said, hit the gas and let the brake go when time to run..
    First Elantra to ever have an Accord CAI!!!
    (Routed through the fender)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGLS
    HVAC in the door!?!?!?! That's awesome. You should put one in the passenger side door and then you can tell people you have dual climate control.

My pappy always said, just so long as you launch em right and keep on truckin you can get the moonshine across just fine . . . just dont get caught!

YEEEEHAWW!!!

+ Reply to Thread