Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this thread on another board and I thought I would give everyone a brief synopsis.

On April 29th in Ottawa, Ontario the weather hit a nice balmy 25 celsius. However, driving on the highway my car poolee and I were getting warm so I turned on the A/C but after driving about 5 km it still wasn't cold. Very depressing!!!
It's going in the shop hopefully the warranty will cover it since its not even two years old yet.

April 30
I got my car back and apparently there is a leak but their system doesn't
seem to detect it. They re-charged/filled the system since it reported that
the level should be 600 and it was down to 200 (I don't know the actual
measurement for the fluid) but they normally charge for the re-filling but
since I bought the car from this dealer they waived it. However, I have to
bring it back so they can check with a UV light for any leak. Apparently,
they filled it with a dye to detect the leak. I'll keep you posted in the
weeks to come. For now, it works.

June 3
I went back after about a month of having the A/C repaired for them to inspect it.
I get a call saying that they tightened a valve in the "uppper area" (pretty
vague on the invoice)
They said that after 20000 Km that any adjustments were subject to a service
charge of $115 CDN.
I flipped!! I said this is a 2002 Elantra and I've had it just two years
with 40000 Km. They said they would get back to me.
Anyhow, after about two hours waiting for the call they said the car was
ready and that they waived the charge. Oh and BTW, I inquired about the
3800-4000 RPM skipping. (I have an automatic) and I reported it without
mentioning the TSB article and they looked into it. On the invoice it said
they re-programmed the transmission. I guess I'll have to wait until a cold
start and the morning.

Just wait until their service department calls me to rate their performance!
:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
First thing I did when I got my Elantra is I read the booklets that came with it, including the one that details all the warrantee information. Techincally speaking, your A/C is warranteed for a year, IIRC. Them's the breaks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
From past experience as a service technician. I have replaced several thermistors in the Elantras...its a sensor in the evaporator that controls the flow of refrigerant.

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
AvanteXD-CDN said:
From past experience as a service technician. I have replaced several thermistors in the Elantras...its a sensor in the evaporator that controls the flow of refrigerant.
Could this also be a cause of why the AC makes a whistling sound when the compressor kicks in? I had taking mine in twice for this and they said they can't hear it, I took a tech for a drive and he then heard it and said some do that. Let me tell you I wasn't too please with that answer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
that whistle noise is considered normal for the Elantras/Tiburons. There is an adjustment that can be made to reduce that noise. A TSB had been assigned to that complaint, I cant remember the number though.

·
1,258 Posts
Really? because mine is really loud, if you remember the number can you let me know please? I looked on HMAservice but couldn't see one that had a description that matched.

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is the first car I've had with A/C and so far I hate it. I'm a fan of driving with the windows down even at 80mph on the highway. Besides that mine noticeably (to me anyway) whistles, and I can feel it kick in, the engine really hesitates for a second. Eventually I'm pretty sure it's going to find it's way to my pile of removed stock parts.

·
1,258 Posts
I do drive with my windows down too. Even in the temps that reach 40 with the humidex and I'm wearing black jeans. But unfortuantley my wife doesn't want the windows down and puts the a/c on. I had a/c in my old car and it didn't make any noises at all so when I heard it on this car after about 3 months I was ticked.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I do drive a 5speed, is the reprogramming for the hesitation when the A/C cuts in? And is this a fairly recent update?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I noticed that noise lastnight when I had my window down and A/C on. 10pm outside air was still in the 90s but the A/C was too cold.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Cool, thanks man, I have an oil change coming up in the next couple of weeks, I'll mention this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts