Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I installed some chorme trim rings on my "uncle's" 04 Sonata (base with V6 option). He started talking about how much he liked the car and how much he didn't expect it to have as much power as it does. Long story short, we got to 'discussing' which is faster, his Sonata or my Elantra. He argued that he's got a V6, while I argued that the Elantra is much lighter. Well, we're going to go to the track to settle this, but I want to know what to expect...

Stats:

Opponent: 2004 Hyundai Sonata V6, auto trans with shiftronic.

Me: 2002 Elantra, no major engine work (just a K&N panel and some improved grounding), auto trans.

What do guys think? I'm saying it'll be close... obviously I have faith in the XD, but what will be the outcome?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Sonata. He should just put it into the Shiftronic mode and drive without shifting. The tranny will shift at maximum revs every time without him doing anything. If he doesn't knbow this then I expect you may have the advantage. If he tries to max revs and shift it manually the car's computer will already be shifting for him and as he hits the shifter to go up a gear it will shift again going from 1st to 3rd rapidly. This will give you an edge if he doesn't realize his mistake till too late.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you had a manual I would definately say Elantra but since you don't I think Sonata. I pulled one pretty good the other day. Started a car back(behind him) ended a car ahead by the middle to end of third.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
if you have an automatic, put the stock wheels on, unbolt the exhaust after the cat, remove the spare tire, jack, rear seats, passenger seat, floor mats and anything else you can think of. be sure to change your oil before you race. royal purple is a pretty good oil. changing your tranny fluid with a synthetic fluid could also make shifts better. try B&M trickshift synthetic, or royal purple makes ATF fluid. if you want to get crazy, you can take your PS and AC belt off. you'll have to buy a new belt to fit on the alternator though I think. lol, may be easier to install nitrous before the race.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You may also want to consider the torque difference.
On the Canadian Hyundai homepage, the V6 is listed as having 181 ft/[email protected] 4000 RPM.
And our engines are said to have 136 ft/[email protected] 4500 RPM. That's a difference of 45. Plus, the Sonata will come into the stronger part of its power band a bit sooner.
But you've also got to consider the gearing. I would imagine that the Sonata has longer gears... I think... so that might give the advantage back to you...

My bet is on the Sonata. Can't wait to hear the results.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
tharptroy said:
if you have an automatic, put the stock wheels on, unbolt the exhaust after the cat, remove the spare tire, jack, rear seats, passenger seat, floor mats and anything else you can think of. be sure to change your oil before you race. royal purple is a pretty good oil. changing your tranny fluid with a synthetic fluid could also make shifts better. try B&M trickshift synthetic, or royal purple makes ATF fluid. if you want to get crazy, you can take your PS and AC belt off. you'll have to buy a new belt to fit on the alternator though I think. lol, may be easier to install nitrous before the race.
Good info, but I'm thinking this is a rather friendly race environment and not an "If you lose I'm going to make fun of you for the rest of my life" situation. Am I right, hyunelan?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
tharptroy said:
thats a little too much for a race with his uncle!!! and i would not recommend puttin any other fluid into AT besides one that was designed for it, i think we have plastic parts inside of the tranny that will be destroyed by some fluids!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
tharptroy said:

omg !! Somebody call the CDC...

We've got another case of Rice boy disease !!

lol

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SuperGLS said:
Good info, but I'm thinking this is a rather friendly race environment and not an "If you lose I'm going to make fun of you for the rest of my life" situation. Am I right, hyunelan?
Yea, this is just a friendly means of answering the question of "which is faster in the quarter?" At most I'll remove the spare tire, but I think the point is for every day driving conditions, not race-modified competition. I'm also kinda leaning towards the sonata to win, but I might take a run or two. Regardless, I think it'll be close. Of course if I lose, I'm sure the credit car bill will instantly ring out a new batch of performance mods... or I'll make that heavy car race me around turns...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you had a manual would be no contest, with an auto floor it and may the braver man, with less gas in the tank prevail! Let us know how it turns out man.

·
Registered
454 Posts
hyunelan2 said:
Yea, this is just a friendly means of answering the question of "which is faster in the quarter?" At most I'll remove the spare tire, but I think the point is for every day driving conditions, not race-modified competition. I'm also kinda leaning towards the sonata to win, but I might take a run or two. Regardless, I think it'll be close. Of course if I lose, I'm sure the credit car bill will instantly ring out a new batch of performance mods... or I'll make that heavy car race me around turns...
I would have hated to see how bad I would have beat the sonata the other day if it was race ready. LOL

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
=P nothing wrong with trying to squeeze what you can out of the car without serious modifications. especially not when its between two cars that should run neck and neck. so wait, ford, you're telling me that no guy with a V8 would strip his car before a race? oil changes are things that should be done anyway before and after racing.

Hrmm, I looked at my list and **maybe** it was a little overboard. but all of that stuff would be good for time in the 1/4. if I wanted to be really ricey, I would have told him to remove the rear bumper cover

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
add stickers, every one is another 5 whp, so put ten and you'll smoke him

honestly, just get a good launch and you'll take him. Powerbrake till 2500 and feather it the brake and gas till you can launch perfect with a little chirp. Sonotas are not meant to be quick cars, they have power to keep them crusing, they have much longer gears than you, so he will hold first until his powerband is all but gone, while you will have shifted into second and are in the meat of the powerband again.

If you launch correctly, you will take him every time.

I'll put 20 bucks on it.

shawn :)

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
i bet his xd will launch well just by power braking to 2500 and letting go of the brake quickly. he has bigger wheels and better rubber than stock, so it'll be harder to break loose

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FordFasteRR said:
well ? race results ?
Track's only open to the public on Tuesday Nights. He's been working a lot of 6pm-6am overnight shifts, so we haven't had an opportunity to go to the track. He was trying to convince me to go out to the country last weekend, but I won't street-race, it's not worth the consequences. So, I don't know when this will happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It won't even be close. The Sonata's V6 advantage more than makes up for the weight difference. Both cars have identical gearing (they use the same basic transmission), so I predict the Elantra will run about 16.9 and the Sonata will run 16.5. That's almost a 1/2 second difference, which is almost 2 car lengths. Let us know how it really turns out!

The power and torque advantage of the Sonata's V6 will easily compensate for the weight difference. Both cars have identical gearing and the same 3.77:1 final drive ratio. The results will be predictable - the Elantra will run the 1/4 mile in about 16.9 seconds, and the Sonata in around 16.5. That's a two car length difference in the Sonata's favour at the finish line. Sorry, guys! Hey... I have a automatic XD myself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a bone stock 04 GT hatch 5 spd and my buddy has a stock 04 LX V6 Sonata (he bought his two weeks after mine) and when ever we race the most he pulls ahead is by 1/2 a car length up to about 60. We have raced many times with him letting the transmission shift and him shifting and it always comes out about the same. If you get a good launch you can probably pull ahead just a little.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts