Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
-
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed a TWM shifter in my '04 EGT today (thanks BlueGT). The instructions provided were clear and comprehensive, but were written for a Tiburon, so there are few differences.

- There was no need to remove the console. It wouldn't hurt to do so, but the installation doesn't require it.

- Their recommendation to use an Exacto knife to pry the clip off the right side of the shifter assembly is not a great idea and I have the sliced thumb tip to prove it (yeah, I'm a klutz). A better solution is one that I read elsewhere, using a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the washer. That worked quickly, easily and safely.

- The clip that secures the bottom leg of the shifter does not need to be removed (in fact, I couldn't remove it). Spread the spring legs and the shifter pops right out. When you reassemble it, simply push the shifter down into the clip and it snaps right in place.

- The '04 only has a cup on the bottom leg of the shifter. The left side leg snaps into a cap in the linkage.

- When you reinstall the shift knob, it initially may not seem to fit, as the threads won't catch. Its a tight fit on the shaft and you need to push down on it pretty hard while you turn it to get it started.

Impressions:

- It's SHORT! I mean, seriously short! Both the stick and the throws.

- The shifting effort is increased as expected, but it's so precise that it doesn't really feel much harder. There is NO doubt when it snaps into gear. I never would have thought that replacing the factory rubber bushings could make much difference, but apparently it really does.

- If I were to make one change, it would be to bend the stick back toward the driver, as SR does on their shifter. For long legged people (my seat's in the next to last notch), it's a long reach to the short stick.

Overall, I like it. The installation was easy and the product is high quality. The shift throws are much shorter and the feel is greatly improved.

UPDATE:

I've attached some photos. Here are the details:

- At the top of the knob, the throw measures 3 3/8". At the center of the knob, It's about 2 3/4". It feels like 2"!

- In first gear, it measures 4 3/8" tall.

- The stock '04 shifter has a nylon ball glued in place. I wonder if the rod could be heated to break the bond, allowing the rod to be pushed through the ball? That would reduce the height and the shift throw, without having to resort to an aftermarket short shifter.

UPDATE #2

I took a few measurements.

Stock:
- Top of ball to end of threads = 6 3/4"
- Top of ball to base of threads = 6"
- Bottom of ball to end of bottom leg = 2 1/4"

TWM:
- Top of ball to end of threads = 4 1/4"
- Top of ball to base of threads = 3 1/4"
- Bottom of ball to end of bottom leg = ~3" (I couldn't get an exact measurement)

So, if you screw the shift knob all the way down, the TWM is 2 3/4" shorter than the stock stick, plus it's 3/4" longer on the bottom.

If you compare the two side by side, the top of the TWM ends at the point where the supports for the boot are on stock shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I read about an adjustable one (Shark Racing?). It almost sounds as if this one is too short...perhaps being adjustable would allow people to customize it between comfort and feel.

Anyone have the adjustable shifter?

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
that washer came off of mine with a flathead screw driver and a mallet. I bought mine used and they didn't send me the washer. I had to reuse mine. So cutting wasn't an option.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
GTSpeedRacer said:
I read about an adjustable one (Shark Racing?). It almost sounds as if this one is too short...perhaps being adjustable would allow people to customize it between comfort and feel.

Anyone have the adjustable shifter?
elantrick over at elantragtclub has the shark adjustable shifter and he can't rave enough about it. here's his DIY:

http://www.elantragtclub.com/index/id370.html

i bought the same one and am just waiting for the chance to install it. can't wait!!!

·
-
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Re: '04 TWM Shifter installation - UPDATE

After using the shifter for a while, I decided it was lower than I wanted. I installed 2, 3/8" thick x 1" diameter nylon spacers (from Home Depot) under each of the TWM spacers and installed longer bolts (50mm). The stick is now at a much more comfortable height in relation to the armrest (5 1/8"), the throws are just as short and I didn't have to modify the shifter frame.

I now see the wisdom in TWM's decision to increase the lower leg as much as possible without having to modify the shifter frame, then decrease the throw further by shortening the upper leg as much as feasible.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey, I was wondering about the washer I cut with the dremal.

Can I leave it without the washer when I install the TWM?

·
Registered
226 Posts
sammy21c said:
Hey, I was wondering about the washer I cut with the dremal.

Can I leave it without the washer when I install the TWM?

nope. that washer holds the spring loaded bolt in place. you wouldn't be able to shift into first if you don't lock another one on. and if you did you wouldn't be able to shift very far after that. put the locking washer on. it's crucial.

·
-
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My TWM shifter came with two new washers. BTW, I saw them at Home Depot the other day, so you should be able to find one in a pinch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts