Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I want to put something that really stands out... but I live on Long Island in New York and we all know how bad the roads are over here, with all these damn potholes and whatnot. But I was just curious what other people's thoughts would be. Should I get 18"s or just stick with the 17"s? :confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Stick with 17s and get like 215/45/17 tires. Roads in NYC are terrible!

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
i would get 18's but i love huge wheels...the bigger the better

·
Registered
226 Posts
are you kidding. the 18's look huge on our car's...only problem is they look even better lowered. and NYC would really kill u then. you can get away with 18's if you use 40 series instead of 35 but it's gonna mess up ur speedo and u'll still have to be decently careful. if i could get new tires i would get 40s for my 18s fill the wheel wells a bit more too. it's up to you. i hit mad holes in mine and didn't bend them that rock messesd my rim lip up tho but the wheels are completely round.

·
Registered
231 Posts
yea i live in westchester and i know exactly what you mean. i have felt some pretty harsh potholes even with my 15-inch wheels... the kind a 40-series tire won't be able to deal... i think 17 is as far as one should go in places like NY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn.. Im soo confused, I wish I knew what to get, and im seeing all of these rims and I cant make up my mind. I dont want to spend more than 1000$ but then its soo hard to picture what types of rims would fit on our cars, and I dont want to get something that im not fully happy with. BLAH!!!! Its just soo tough!! :( Plus I dont want to end up hitting a pothole and bend or shatter the rim. I'll probably end up going with what BlueGT Said, but now i'm thinking about which rim.. BLAH

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
get 18s and be really careful....step up take a chance

·
Banned
4,074 Posts
I live on Long Island and the roads are bad in some places..I would not go bigger then 17's just for the fact that iv seen some potholes here that are a foot deep and 2 feet wide..LoL

·
Registered
883 Posts
I guess it is going to depend if you are going to base your final decision on ride quality (17s) or looks (18s). 18" rims & tires are also generally more $$$ & w/ a lower pro tire, you're gonna be replacin them more often. Something to think about at least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx guys for the input, I think since I live on Long Island too I will go with the 17's and the 215/45/17 tires, cause I really have seen some crazy potholes out there...!!! Wish I lived somewhere where the roads were smooth, and I do drive alot so 17's it is! Now to find a good rim :-( any suggestions?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Look on ebay for a 4 X 114.3 bolt pattern and a 40mm offset on 17X7, bound to bring up tons of results at the best prices. Probably gonna have to invest in smaller diameter tuner lug nuts & hub centric rings (get wheels 1st to determine size needed), ebay still the route to go. Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I just got my enkei rsv in gunmetal. They just came in. As soon as my car is out of the body shop they are goin on. (Body Kit install not a wreck)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah man, I live on Long Island too, and the pot holes are rediculous!!! I would def. go for the 17, you can use the money left for something else....like gas!!! geez, I payed $1.99 yesterday. All my friends with Rims have had encounters w/ these darn pot holes too, so you're better off with the 17s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah man I cant believe the potholes and then the freaken GAS!!!!! Gas is definately killing me, 20 bucks at most twice a week!!! cause I live in East Northport and my girl lives in Queens :eek: Too much money, and yeah i'm definately gonna go with the 17's and probably G-Racing Rims. I chose this rim because it seems to give the appearance of being larger than what it actually is :D . What does everyone think??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts