Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
I have always been captivated by the idea of a delta swap into the XD. Its different and in a world with too many H22 swapped Honduhs it would be sooo sweet to have the only six pot XD in VA! I really could care less if the performance wasn't Ferrariesque, if I had the money I would do it. Besides all the Honduh worshipping magazines would beat a path to my crooked H! Cover of Super Street here we come! Then my wife could shoot me for looking at some import whore draped over the hood of MY XD!! Ooops there I go fantasizing again LOL

04 elantra cvvt said:
I don't remember where, but I saw an elantra with the 2.7. It ran like a bat out of hell. The person that did the install said that it bolted right in, just had to remap a tib ecu.
I think you are mistaken, I've seen/heard of nothing like this. I'm not saying I know everything about Elantras, but this just seems like something we'd all know about. So, if someone is lurking around with a delta swap I'd love if you could post and prove me wrong, until then...

I'm with slvrsleeper on this one, I'd take the delta swap over a turbo in no time. Making the ECU and wiring work can't be that hard, people are doing it with their Beta swaps, I'm sure someone could make it work without too much trouble. Anyway.

Its not that I have some huge hangup about turbo, my main issue is that it does require some rather daunting tuning issues. The learning curve with forced induction is rather steep:ie if you get it wrong chances are you will need a new motor(internally at least) My main goal would also be to achieve good performance, that is better than can be expected of the BetaII with NA tuning. Especially given the relative ease of NA tuning, in regards to learning curves. Read some of Fords posts about what happens when you get NA tuning wrong. The car doesn't blow up it just runs like crap.

You can go grab a 2.7 Delta engine for around $400... that's if you want one with ~5k miles... I was interested in doing this but if the labor costs more than the parts then I backed out... but my manager at work just told me he was ASE(I think that's it, either ASC or ASE) certified and knows more about cars than I'll ever know, he's offered to do any and all work I ever want to do on my car for cheap... I'll run this idea by him today... I'll be without a car for a while but since next week is my last week at Dominos and I only work at Super Target 3 nights a week from 12-6 I can use my bro's car for work... and worse comes to worse if it doesn't work out it's not like I'm going to get rid of the Beta so I can throw it back in and call it a day... I weighed out the pros and cons and I think this engine swap would be better for my taste and wouldn't have to worry about reliablility issues that'd I'd have to with nitrous or turbo. I'm going to go research this option and I'll report my findings later. :thumbsup:

I think we should move this thread elsewhere. ;) Any mods up to it to throw it into a performance section?I wanna see someone step up to the plate and have enough chutzpa to actually do the swap..

I talked to my manager yesterday about a possible engine swap and he's all for it. He told me if I do the research, buy the parts, and help him while he works on it, he'll do the install for cheap, get me a good deal on tuning the ECU, and he said it would be a waste to have the engine out of the car without doing some work on it first so he'll see what work he can do to the head before putting the engine in the car. He said I'll be without a car 2 days most if I and his friend help him out. I just need to do the research to see what I actually need so this gives me sometime to get the cash needed also. After I find out what parts I need and price them out he'll give me an estimate and then I'll give the Yay or Nay.

EDIT: The only thing that would stop me from going threw with this, if the price is right, would be my dad since he's paying for my college and won't even allow me to put a CAI on my car right now... :( but when I move out it's fair game. :D

Depending on what you friend can do to the head and how much he'd wan't for it you might want to think about a Nextgen Head, but that would probably be more expensive than what your friend is thinking of doing.

Keep in mind I'm not aiming for major HP here, I'll be happy with the Delta + I/H/E... if I was looking for major HP I'd be looking at Alpine :D. Good news is I'm making alot more money than I was expecting at my new job and I'm not out of debt(damn credit cards) so I can't wait to see what arises after talking to my manager today.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.