Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine light came on and I discovered this:

When I plug the hole with my finger, the motor dies. When I slip the cover back over the tube, it idles really low. I'm pretty sure this hole isn't supposed be here, but why is the car dying instead of getting air out of the intake/TB?

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
208 Posts
It could be because the hose might have some debris lodged in it blocking air flow. Either inside the hose or in the intake manifold fitting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea what that hose is called or the part #? If it's something as simple as going to the parts store and buying a length of rubber hose that size, I'll do that.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
^yes....just replace the house. there is supposed to be vacuum from there but from the pcv valve not free air....you might have a clogged pcv valve.

what i would do is pull the ground from the battery terminal...the replace the house and put the ground back on. turn the key to the ON (but not starting) this will let the computer find and readjust the tps....it should then be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok-so the PCV valve is where in relation to this hose? Also, any clue as to what RPM I should idling at? I may have had this leak for awhile and just assumed the idle was correct.

·
Registered
54 Posts
it should be on the valve cover. every car i ever owned has it in that location. its a little black piece that should have a hose attached to it.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
there are two hoses that come from the upper right (if standing infront of hte motor) part of the cover...one goes to the intake tube and the other is the pcv (inthe valve cover) that goes to the intake manifold (as pictured)

·
Carpe Noctum
2,462 Posts
Here's my take... That hole has probably been there for a while. That hole will cause the engine to idle high. So, whoever had the car before probably turned down the idle, not knowing the cause. Now, when you block the hole, the idle is set too low and the car dies. Get a new hose. Start the car and turn the idle up to about 2,000 rpm. Shut the car off. Replace the hose. Start the car and adjust the idle to where it should be (probably around 800 to 900 rpm).

·
The Euro Guy
1,117 Posts
I'm pretty sure you just can't without touching the IAC, mine was a pita after messing with the idle.

·
Carpe Noctum
2,462 Posts
There should be a stop screw that the throttle pulley rests against when the throttle is closed. I don't have a TB in front of me, but if you find that screw, look for the other end of it. If you can't see the other end, there may be a plug over it that needs to be removed. In this case, as I believe the idle has been turned down, there should be no plug covering the screw head.

·
The Euro Guy
1,117 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to mess with that UNLESS it has been messed with first. Do not touch it, fix the problem.

---------- Post added 01-27-2010 at 12:18 AM ----------

Oh and btw, im pretty damn sure the idle can't be lowered, the car will conpensate by anyway it can; mine runt rich like a mofo because of that (that and the iac)

·
Carpe Noctum
2,462 Posts
You guys need to re-read the original post. The car is running fine with the hole. When he plugs the hole it dies. With the hole, the idle should be high. This means someone HAS messed with the idle adjustment, and yes, you can turn it down. The factory sets the screw (that long vertical plastic tube next the the throttle wheel in the main pic of the linked eBay auction) at a certain depth. There is enough thread to turn it both in and out. Like I said, turn the idle up, then replace the hose (so it doesn't die when you start it with the new hose on). Then, re-adjust the idle to where it should be once the hose is on.

·
The Euro Guy
1,117 Posts
You guys need to re-read the original post. The car is running fine with the hole. When he plugs the hole it dies. With the hole, the idle should be high. This means someone HAS messed with the idle adjustment, and yes, you can turn it down. The factory sets the screw (that long vertical plastic tube next the the throttle wheel in the main pic of the linked eBay auction) at a certain depth. There is enough thread to turn it both in and out. Like I said, turn the idle up, then replace the hose (so it doesn't die when you start it with the new hose on). Then, re-adjust the idle to where it should be once the hose is on.
I didn't say you couldn't adjust the screw to lower it, i just said the ecu will adjust itself and raise the throttle.
Replace the hose first. Then see afterwards.

·
Carpe Noctum
2,462 Posts
OMG!!! If he replaces the hose, the car isn't going to start, evidenced by the fact that it dies when he plugs the hole. I can't believe I've had to explain this 3 times...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts