Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am already tired of this car, and it's only been a month. I've searched and searched but can't find anything else and have given up so I come to you guys for help.

Background - We bought the car used with "100k" miles. Car runs great, blah blah blah, but the reason that I say "100k" is because the speedo/odometer has not worked since day one. The person who sold us the car didn't tell us that it didn't work and it would work for 5 minutes when the car was cold, so on the test drives, it always seemed fine.

So my problem. The speedo doesn't work

Parts I replaced that should have fixed the problems:
1. Speedo Cluster - I bought one used with 102k miles thinking the cluster was bad. This one did the same thing.
2. Input speed sensor - bought brand new
3. Output speed sensor - bought brand new

So PLEASE, help me! I am so confused as to why this is not working! What else could it be?

I am located in NYC, zip code 11373/11365, if anyone is willing to help me out. PLEASE!!!

Additional Info:

I have checked every fuse in the vehicle by hand and with a test light, and have also checked behind the cluster to see if there is a pulse coming from somewhere to tell the cluster what the speed is. We found that the cluster IS in fact receiving a pulse, can you tell me what an acceptable reading from this pulse should be? Also, we checked to see if we gave the cluster a ground (being pulsed) that the speedo would in fact move, and it did, so that kind of ruled out the cluster being bad.

Another thing, when/if the speedo works for a few minutes, the cruise control will work, when the speedometer stops working, so does cruise.

·
Registered
543 Posts
so you replaced the VSS; vehicle speed sensor?

---------- Post added 07-13-2010 at 11:42 AM ----------

i just replaced mine $300 bucks at the dealership. Oh well, thats the cost of lazy

---------- Post added 07-13-2010 at 11:45 AM ----------

part number 4651739000

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
when my speedo stopped working, i ended up having to replace a little geared sensor on top of the tranny, in the back near the firewall, then it worked again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you replaced the VSS; vehicle speed sensor?

---------- Post added 07-13-2010 at 11:42 AM ----------

i just replaced mine $300 bucks at the dealership. Oh well, thats the cost of lazy

---------- Post added 07-13-2010 at 11:45 AM ----------

part number 4651739000
Where is this sensor located? I am guessing that it may not be the sensors that I already replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so far i changed:

and

it looks like this is the piece (pn# 4651739000) looks like this:

Let me know what you guys think! Should this do the trick?

·
Registered
543 Posts
when i went in on sat last weekend they said i had a bad circuit. I think this is different. I went to the dealer cuz i didn't wanna replace evry part but the right one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds good I will order this PN tonight. Looks easy to get to as well. Hopefully my gf can start using the car. I will let you guys know how this goes.

---------- Post added 07-13-2010 at 10:44 PM ----------

i really hope this part works out! I had it shipped express in hopes that it works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
found a buddy who has alldata. Searched the wiring diagrams and this looks like it might be the part! All electricity points there. Wish I had found you guys sooner. Would have saved myself about 100 bucks and a lot of time!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
of course... Forums that are this active (once you get by post wh*res) and jumble, really make a difference. I'm on ClubLexus and a few others that have saved me so much time and money and provided a good time and many great friends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OH BABY!!!! As of right now its working!!!!! so excited that I went and changed the spark plugs and wires!!!! WOOOOTTTTTTT!!!! Now it's time to drink!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, lets talk about this again.....

Bottom line. Most likely I didn't need a new sensor. I took the car out yesterday and I was having the same problem. It worked for a minute then stopped. So I took the piece off again and found this brownish/bluish moisture inside the plug, which I had cleaned out when I changed it. Long story short, I cleaned it and it worked great.

What is this crap and how the hell do I get it to stop messing up the plug?

On a side note, what could cause the ECU fuse to pop while driving?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts