Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have scanned the various threads on rotor issues, but I still have a question: I believe the original rotors on my 2002 are warped, due to the shaking that goes on during braking at certain speeds. I'm going to ask my mechanic about resurfacing them, but in case this doesn't work (as the various threads seem to imply it won't), I'm wondering what replacement rotors would y'all recommend? I have a GT with ABS, but I'm not a "performance nut".... I'm more of a poor graduate student who would like to get an inexpensive set of rotors that will last a long time and not draw attention to themselves. If they happen to improve performance, that would be icing on the cake. So where should I be looking for inexpensive long-life rotors? Thanks very much. -- Dave

·
Registered
497 Posts
Its more of an issue of the crappy stock pads causing the warping than it is just bad rotors. Rshack has been using stock rotors with EBC greenstuff pads and he has not had any problems with warping and he has over 80,000 miles on his XD.

If you just want reliability try to talk the dealership into replacing the rotors under warranty and then switch to high quality pads such as EBC Greenstuff or Hawk HPS pads.

Hope that helps.

--NY

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem and the local dealership simply cut the rotors and I'm back in business. To boot, they did it for free! I didn't think it was a warrantied item but I'm not complaining. I probably warped them after driving through some serious over the road flooding. Hot brakes + cold water usually adds up to trouble. If your even remotely mechanically skilled, and have the time, you can take the rotors off yourself and take them to a local shop and have them cut. Depends on where you live but shouldn't be much more than $20 per.

Good Luck,

Curtis

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an 02 Elantra VE that had the same rotor issue! They machined them down a year ago and now they seem like they need maintenance as it feels like they are starting to vibrate when doing braking at high speeds. The first time was under warranty but I'm shocked the stock stuff didn't seem to last long.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My girlfriend's old Accent had the same problem. I pulled the rotors three times to turn them, and it would only last about six months. I finally changed the pads to a set of regular old Raybestos, and we never had another problem with the brakes. The part number for the front and rear pads for the Elantra in Raybestos is: Front - MD941 (or PGD941) and Rear - MD323A (or PGD323A). This will help you greatly without costing you an arm and a leg. Just remeber to stay away from the Performance Friction brands at Auto Zone. Those will give you nothing but problems. If you can't find Raybestos, stay with Wagner, EIS, or Bendix. Any of these will give you the "cheap" but good fix you are looking for.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I have one thing to say... BIGGER IS BETTER. ;) Haha, I've always hated it when people use all caps.

But yeah, pads make a difference too and it's a much cheaper solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts