Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Against the Flow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the situation. I live in Florida, so its hot and wet a lot of the time. I need to find out how to arrange a custom cold air intake but I'd rather not have to take the extra time to tear the front end apart looking for space hoping it will fit. Anyone else that has done it could you help me out? Explain how yours is set up? As in where the piping goes through and where the filter ended up?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I've long rammed mine, i.e. the filter sits between the battery and the side fender behind the headlamp. A few others here have it like that too. It gets enough cold air (I've driven 60 miles in 80 degree weather, popped the hood and felt the tubing near the filter and it was cool to the touch) but doesn't get nearly as dirty.
If you search for my name in the engine bay pictures thread, it'll be there. Mind you, mine's an 04 that has a MAF, but you'll get the idea.

·
Against the Flow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats about what I was thinking for mine. Theres so little space to work with. After I get it in I might wrap it to better insulate it.probably going to use that box built in there left from the stock system.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
I've long rammed mine, i.e. the filter sits between the battery and the side fender behind the headlamp. A few others here have it like that too. It gets enough cold air (I've driven 60 miles in 80 degree weather, popped the hood and felt the tubing near the filter and it was cool to the touch) but doesn't get nearly as dirty.
If you search for my name in the engine bay pictures thread, it'll be there. Mind you, mine's an 04 that has a MAF, but you'll get the idea.
x2

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
i ran my intake like that for a while... then i just stopped giving a ****. lol the bottom of my filter basically sits on the subframe right behind the edge of the radiator. had it that way thru winter now. n plan on keepin it thru the summer.

unless we get like flooding.. then ill prolly shorten it xD haha or install my "bypass" intake tube which has a hole drilled in the side of it incase it tries to suck up water.

·
Against the Flow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How difficult is it to take out the resonator? I tried real quick before, but it seems like theres a hidden screw or something. I didn't have too much time to look into it anymore. I'm thinking of digging out the guts of the resonator and using it to waterproof the area. move the stock flexpipe on it and bring it up to the front that way it will get plenty of cold air to breath and be waterproof just in case.

What's your opinion on that?

·
Against the Flow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My resonator is actually under the battery and under a bit of frame. Going to be a pain in the *** to get to, but it'll be worth it once its done. There is so much less space in my engine bay than yours, so its going to take a bit more work. I'll take pictures and try to post them later. I'll be working on some stuff today.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
It probably just looks like less space because I have my intake. you still have the filter box with the intake pipe, the shield, etc. The only thing removed from my engine bay is the stock intake. I still have my resonator box intact and installed on the car, since my intake doesn't go down there.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You have to move the battery over a few inches. I've only seen 1 setup with a 2-piece intake and small barrel K&N filter that the person was able to fit it into the space without having to move the battery.

·
Against the Flow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what my plan is is to rip the guts out of the resonator, run the pipe into it, drill holes strategically in the box to allow for airflow but to reduce the risk of water, and put he filter inside the box. Then run that soft pipe on the resonator straight through to the front, with a bend to catch any rain, and to catch a higher amount of colder air and to force a little bit of pressure in too (not much though).

·
Against the Flow
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can only move the battery over about an inch to still be clipped in, unless you move the entire tray. And I dont do anything half-assed.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
take some end nippers and cut the left side (looking from the front) of the tray's side wall off. You can then slide the battery over 2-3 inches, and still have use of the front hold-down clamp.

If you don't have end nippers, you can ghetto it by cutting down the length of the side wall to the base with a hacksaw every 1-2 inches, and then use a pair of pliers to snap off the side in pieces. It snaps off pretty nicely, actually, cuz that's the way I ended up doing it cuz I couldn't find my end nippers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts