Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. My wife and I have had this Elantra just sitting around for about a year, and well, long story short, she needs to drive it now.

It has 100k miles and when it idles or is in neutral it jumps up to about 3k rpm, and fluctuates from 3k to 1k to 2.5k blah blah. When under load or cruising, every thing is normal, it's just when it's sitting at an idle.

I am pretty sure it's a vacuum leak, I am just not sure where to look on an Elantra...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It might be a vacum leak, if it is there are only a few vacum hoses near the cars intake system. First things first check all the wiring Make sure everything is plugged in. It may be a sensor, there should be two or three on your intake side, unplug one of them at a time and see if it gos away or gets worse. Everytime I suspect a sensor going bad I just go threw them And unplug them one at a time an see what changes, if you don't feel comfertable doing that then have someone else do it for you, it will not hert anything I swear to it. Remeber one thing tho after you finish up unplugging sensors make sure to plug them all back in and reset the battery. Taking the negotiv side of will work fine. Try the things I said about an if that don't work then take the car to a garage to get checked over, good luck budd

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Was the car running fine before it was sitting?

If so, it maybe gas buildup in the injectors or fuel system somewhere. When you give it the gas it's forcing enough in to let it run smooth. At idle it can't get enough in for it to run smooth, just a little at the time.

It wouldn't hurt to have the dealer do a fuel system cleaning and fuel filter replacement. If you would like to do it yourself, I would ask the dealer how they recommend doing it. I believe someone said most off the shelf fuel cleaners are too abrasive for our injectors. Not sure though, but double check that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts