Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About once a drive or so, sometimes when accelerating from a stop light, or other times-at speed, the engine will lose power and sputter. When it's from a stop, it will sputter, and will slowly roll forward as if under power by one cylinder. If I quickly tap the gas pedal, it'll initially rev normally for a second but then it'll lose power again. So I have to quickly tap the pedal for 10-15 seconds before it seems to clear up and start accelerating normally again. When it happens under speed, similar loss in power occurs, I can press the pedal to the floor and nothing happens. After about 10-15 seconds it clears up. I've found that if I shift it into Neutral when it does this, the engine is capable of revving normally up to red line, but the problem returns when I shift it back into drive.
I have replaced the:
-fuel filter
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-ignition coil pack
-throttle position sensor
-catalytic converter
I have also sprayed intake system cleaner into the throttle body.
The check engine light is on and the code it's sending out is(so the local mechanic says) the 02 sensor code.
I have no clue what else it could be. I guess the last suspects are the intake manifold gasket? Maybe a bad ecu?
I'm all out of ideas and appreciate any and all help/suggestions you guys can provide.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is still present. I'm contemplating replacing the 02 sensors. I just don't understand how the problem appears once a drive and then disappears. I guess I just assume if a sensor is bad or there's an issue that it would occur more often.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Check the crank positioning sensor? When mine was cracked, my car would shake violently when I stopped and idle would bounce around. Also had a vac leak and a bad coil pack at the same time. Check those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts