Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few Saturdays ago, I took my 2003 Elantra GT (95,000 miles) to have a coolant leak checked. The dealership said I needed to replace the water pump and the radiator. When I balked at the $1,000 price tag, they said the radiator work "could wait" a month or so. I took the car home, planning to have an independent mechanic check it out Monday. After some back and forth over the phone, they decided that the water pump replacement was in fact covered under the 100,000 warranty....but they told me the radiator MUST be replaced IMMEDIATELY (to the tune of $600). I held firm, took the car in so they could replace ONLY the water pump, and had a bill of $0.

Since I picked my car up, the a/c has been blowing colder than ever before....but the acceleration has been a bit slow, and my gas mileage has been horrible. I have a 3 mile round-trip commute to work, and depending on how much errand-driving I do, a full tank of gas usually lasts me at least 2 weeks. In the past 3 days alone, I have gone through a half tank and have only driven about 30 miles.

I have no idea what the problem is....and do not want to take it back to the dealership for another fishing expedition. Help??

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
Timing belt put back on wrong, timing's off.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Timing belt put back on wrong, timing's off.
Why would you remove the timing belt for water pump replacement? The water pump is driven by acessory belt!

Maybe the tension of the acessory belts was set too high!? That could cause enough resistance to lower gas mileage!
Did you check the odometer before and after the car has been in the shop? Maybe they did a veeery long testride?

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
um....the water pump is attached to the block and the timing belt needs to come off in order to get to it.

if the timing was off it would shoot a code almost instantly...are there any check engine lights? it would also idle like poop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts