Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have very basic understanding about mechanics; however, I have managed to replace the fuel filter & pump and have replaced the spark plugs. I have also checked the fuses and they all work fine (did some swapping to make sure). Car still cranks but won't start.

I have been reading other posts and the advice seems to be that my coil pack should be checked. I'm going to do that on Saturday. There is a device (don't know what it's called) that has two magnets that complete a circuit when you (1) turn the key enough to engage the fuel pump and (2) turn the key completely to start the engine. I think I need to find this under the dash some place to see if it is working. Thoughts?

Also, can I check the fuel pressure if I can't get the car to start, only the fuel pump will engage? Seems like the car should start before I can check the fuel pressure.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I am a broke amature with a car stuck on a mountain.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When I have a crank no start problem, first thing I do is grab a spare spark plug and pull on of the spark wires off the plug on the head... Put your spare plug connected to the wire and lay the plug on the intake manifold... Turn the key and see if you have spark or not... If no then it's an electrical problem, if yes then I put the wire back on the plug in the head and check fuel related problems...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will give that a try.

I tested the spark plug as you suggested. Pretty blue spark. What do you think about the coil? Is that ignition related or fuel related? Also checked the lines and they seem free from damage. :-|

·
Registered
417 Posts
So if you have spark you know it's a fuel or air problem... Next thing I usually do it take the two 10mm nuts that hold the rubber fuel line onto the fuel rail... It's on the intake between the head and the throttle body... Find a small empty coffee can and put the end of the hose in it... Just turn the key on and see if fuel comes out... No fuel and pump is bad... If you have fuel its more than likely a vaccuum problem either in a like or intake seal...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you again. A little fuel came out. About an ounce or less.

I'm trying to check the fuel pressure with the equipment i borrowed from AutoZone. Cant find a schrader valve so i am tryung to do it on the intake line. Suggestions?

I've also borrowed a noid light set. Gonna try and figure that out later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got all the same issues but I switched the whole fuel pump assembly, didnt think I should have to transfer any 'washers' for the new one should I?... I've got fuel coming to the rail, not sure what next

1 - 8 of 8 Posts