Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 Elantra would not start.
It all started last month, when it will decide not to start in the mornings, and then when i come back from work it will start again.
Until last week where it died completely. It will crank. but would not start.
I changed the spark plugs and wires. and a new battery.
I ruled out fuse problem since it was starting intermittently! Also when I turn the key i would hear the fuel pump starting fine.
I ordered a crankshaft sensor today. I will try that first.

what other problems might be causing this?

Thanks!!

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Combustion engine's require three basic things Fuel, Spark & Air. Admittedly that's oversimplifying but it's a good start when you have nowhere to begin. Air is a given for the most part ensure the intake/throttle body isn't blocked in some way. Spark can be tested with a spark plug checker. Checking fuel isn't so easy though but can be done. Regardless best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Changed the Crankshaft Position sensor, the car started normally! So I though problem solved!!
I was wrong!
Woke up this morning to go to work, tried to start the car, it would not start!! I really think my elantra is trying to mess with me!
So things changed so far! Spark Plugs and wires, battery, Crankshaft sensor!

I really don't know where to go from here!

Please help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put in a new battery last week. Since I changed the Crankshaft sensor, the car will only starts in the afternoon when i come home from work. It would not start in the mornings, so I'm thinking it's temperature related!
now the question is what can be affected by the outside temperature, where it fails when the temperature is below 60!

I'm starting to lean toward the fuel pump! any suggestions?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would strongly recommend that you don't keep throwing parts at it hoping to fix the problem, as it will quickly get expensive that way. If you don't want to take it to a shop, you need to find out if your problem is on the ignition or fuel side. If you can, buy a spark (ignition) tester. They're quite cheap ($10-$15) and will let you know if the problem is with your ignition.

The only things really affected by temperature in terms of starting are batteries and the viscosity of motor/tranny oil. However, 60 F is not cold enough to affect either one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friend had a spark tester, we tested the spark wires, 2 and 4 showed low ampage, 1 and 3 were fine, I replaced the 2 and 4 spark plugs, and it still showed low ampage. Since the wires are new, now we are looking at the coil pack, I went and picked one up from the dealership, i'm changing it today, we'll see if that solves the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts