Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to Crappy Lube and they did the 19.99 oil change, tested the coolant , replaced the air filter etc.. all the normal upsale stuff.

Then I drove my car for 4 days to work and back about 20 miles each way. The car sat all weekend.

Then yesterday I started from a stop light and heard a sequel (sounds like a belt ) and alot of mist behind my car when pulling away. It was raining so initially I though it was just water on the road being stirred up but it seem like there was alot more than normal. After a few miles I noticed the heater was not working It was just blowing cold air. I watched the temperature gauge a few more miles and it started getting closer to the red.

So I pulled over popped the hood and my radiator cap was sitting right by the hood latch off the radiator.

I went and got some water and put the cap back on. and drove to work where I filled it up the rest of the way.

Later that day I drove home and the car stayed cool but was steaming from the hood at most every stop light. Carefully watching the temperature I made it home.

I cleaned off the engine with a hose and let it idle for about 30 mins and the temperature was fine and there was no steaming.

Then This morning I drove about 10 miles and it started steaming at stop lights again.

What are the chances that I could drive 4 days 20 miles each way to work and back with no radiator cap ? Or is it possible or even common to have a cap pop off ?

Maybe there is something else I need to check that maybe the cause ? Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had similar issues with my GT. I think in my case the cap was loose or one of the hoses. After I checked those I haven't had that problem again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts