Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a new 2010 Elantra GLS with approximately 100 miles on it. At high speeds, it veers to the left or right slightly. The suspension seems fairly tight, but I constantly have to hold the steering wheel with two hands on the highway because the car just decides to start driving off-center, it seems.

Not sure if this is an indication of anything, but I tried letting go of the wheel at low speed (20-30mph), and it drives perfectly straight :confused: I also considered that this may be caused by new tires, but this isn't my first new car -- I did not have a similar problem with other cars. It is an economy car, but based on the reviews I've read, poor handling isn't one of the weaknesses of the Elantra.

Has anyone had similar issues or can suggest a cause?

Thank you :)

Bige

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Take it to the dealership and tell them what's wrong. At only 100 miles nothing like that should be happening. They can look over everything and find the reason. Could be tires, alignment, etc. In any event, it shouldn't be happening.

What do you mean by "high speeds?" Like highway speeds or in excess of highway speeds (at which point you really shouldn't be doing anyway).

PS, welcome to EXD!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SuperGLS,

Thank you for the reply and for the welcome :wavey:

The problem occurs at 55-65 mph, I rarely drive more than 10 mph over the speed limit. I was considering taking it to the dealer, but I have a feeling that they will just tell me that the car is fine. I'll try to drop it off this week and will update if anything changes.

I was drove about 200 miles on the highway today, and it seems to be improving a bit -- though it may just be that I'm getting used to it :/

Bige

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
Have you made sure the lugs were on tight? Does the car look level? Do you weigh like 600lbs? (j/k... unless you do...)

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Check your tire pressure. They get shipped over here from Korea with the tire pressures jacked up to prevent flat-spotting. If they didn't lower them when it went through the dealer, it could have upwards of 60psi, which can make it feel very un-planted on the road.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
The HD's are known to be unstable due to the alignment, especially the rear end. When I had my HD, I had a HUGE problem with mine and found the rear camber to be out of spec and since that is not adjustable, I ended up making an adjustable upper control arm that would enable me to adjust the rear camber to spec. After posting that here with pictures, several companies started making them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi,

Just wanted to post my solution in case anyone is in a similar situation with their 2010 Elantra.

Following ricerrx7's suggestion, I checked the tire pressure and it was very high (I don't know exactly, but it was over 55 PSI, which is the last mark on my tire pressure gauge). I lowered the pressure to approximately 40 PSI (tires say max PSI is 45), and the car now behaves well at high speeds.

EDIT: Just checked the sticker on the car -- the recommended cold tire air pressure for this car is 32 PSI, front and back

Thank you very much for all the responses!

Bige

1 - 9 of 9 Posts