Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting 205-55-15 tires on my stock wheels. Is that a bit too much for the stock steel wheels with 5.5" width?
I'm on limited budget and i want some wider tires, but don't know if putting wider tires on such skinny wheels would hurt the handling of the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know if any manufacturers make a 205mm wide tire that'll mount 5.5".

Since 205 refers to the width of the tire (not the tread) in millimeters. 205mm is just under 8.25". That means that the tire will be 1 3/8" wider than the rim on both sides. If you could find a tire to fit, you'd have a crazy bubble sidewall effect going on.

Perhaps you could look into getting another set of steel rims that are 16X7. That would give you a million tires to choose from. It'd be a lot cheaper than fancy rims, and you could get some decent wheel covers. You'd get all the performance you're looking for, for a lot less money. Though you may not be getting the 'cool' effect that rims will give you.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Yes, 205/55-15's would fit on the stock wheels. Take a look at some options here at TireRack. You can click a tire and go to the specs tab to see what size wheels it can be mounted on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I know it can be mounted on. the minimum wheel width for a 205-55-15 tire is 5.5".

Some car makers have used wide tires on relatively narrow wheels. ex) BMW have used on certain M3 models 235-40-17 tires on 17 X 7.5 wheels. The minimum wheel width for 235-40-17 is 8.0".

The thing is though, BMW have tested their cars on that wheel-tire combo and produced satisfactory results, while if I am actually doing this I won't know if it will actually help the car's handling or not...

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
I could take a wild guess as to how the handling would be affected and why... but I might be completely wrong.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Are the steel wheels 5.5? Some info I've seen says they are only 5. I went from a 185/60/14 to a 195/60/14 on my Accent with its 14x5 wheels and it was a bit oversquare, but it handled great, of course I went from 185 wide stock tires to 195 wide Falken Azenis Sports.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have been running Contiextreme contacts size 205/55-15 on my factory steelies for two years now. They fit fine, they don't look silly and they grip like crazy! The only issue I have ever had is the the rim protector on those tires rubs my wheel covers and sometimes makes an odd sound. That tire size is a HUGE improvement over OEM especially when paired with the Tib rear sway bar.

·
Registered
851 Posts
nice! It works, I have no wheel covers, so no issues. Elkane7533 which brand and make of tires are you getting?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Okay, so if 205/55/15 is cool...what are your thoughts out there about 205/50/15s?? Getting ready to get some new Toyo Proxes 4s and noticing that between the 55 series and the 50 series there is about a $13 difference per tire.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
SilverWolf said:
Okay, so if 205/55/15 is cool...what are your thoughts out there about 205/50/15s?? Getting ready to get some new Toyo Proxes 4s and noticing that between the 55 series and the 50 series there is about a $13 difference per tire.
That'll work... it'll probably look funny, but it works. A tire that small will probably look out of place in the big wheel well.

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
If you're willing to spend almost $300 for tires alone, why not just get a cheap wheel/tire package? I've seen 16" packages go for less than $500. After you wear out those crappy tires put on some better ones. At least you'd have alloy rims and tires that don't look funny.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I personally have been looking at this 205/60/15 or 205/55/15 thing also. I dont want to change rims, I have the GT rims, and they look great on the car. When the time comes, Im looking at either the Falken's or Michelin Harmony (warranty)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Next spring, on my stock steels, I'm going to use the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW in 205/55/15, which are to be released 4th quarter of this year.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Everbody just loves the Falkens.......

The 55 series Falkens only have a tread wear warranty of 30k on them. The 60 series has 60k according to the Falken website. So when I get them, I will be staying in the 60 series....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Don't overlook the Continental either. Tire rack has them for 68 per tire last time I looked (which was a while ago I admit) The tred life isn't as good as the Falken as far as I know but I've been very happy with them so far....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts