Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
The fix is simple. Simpler than installing a CPU i'd say. Check youtube, there is a three part video where the guy shows you how to do it and i've done it to 3 360's and its worked each time.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
never had problems with mine ... minus the first one I bought used that ALREADY had the RROD (and I knew it had the RROD).

Anyway the new gen of the 360 don't have the RROD problem anymore.
well thats good to know, i got mine for christmas this year and bought an extra 2yr warranty after the microsoft 1yr. i love my 360 so far

·
Registered
879 Posts
Likely, and a lot of individuals with original release 360's are long out of warranty, with the extension microsoft gave out included. However, there is a report that after the mandatory dash update, this week I think, a bunch of 360's crapped out. Check tomshardware.com for information on that.

·
You best be trollin foo
4,053 Posts
Likely, and a lot of individuals with original release 360's are long out of warranty, with the extension microsoft gave out included. However, there is a report that after the mandatory dash update, this week I think, a bunch of 360's crapped out. Check tomshardware.com for information on that.
Yeah the updated dash blew the GPU's if they were already on their way out.

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
Why do you guys keep saying 3 red rings?

It's ONE red ring, with three sections lit up.

·
G-Mills Pays tha Bills
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm sending it out Monday, the tech guy said it takes 1-3 weeks for them to fix it and get it back to me.

Good thing my roomie has a 360 that I can use till then...

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
good luck!
youtube says its usually a gpu heat issue and you can re-tighten the sinks.

theres a few sites selling repaired 360s that had this issue before and have had it repaired. your getting an older 360, but most places are sellin them for 150. geeks.com is one place

·
Registered
201 Posts
My friend's 360 got RRD last night during COD4. This is the second time he will have sent it in. Luckily I have a new Jasper chip set and it runs a lot cooler, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't have issues. I just wonder who runs MS's fiscal responsibility department, cause wouldn't it just be cheaper to upgrade broken units with NEW chip sets and all then to have to repair someones 2,3,4, etc. times?

·
That's Mr. Detail to you
728 Posts
Yeah, I hear that happens a lot.

·
You best be trollin foo
4,053 Posts
good luck!
youtube says its usually a gpu heat issue and you can re-tighten the sinks.
If the GPU has been damaged do to heat (melted) re-tightening the heat sink is just about as useful as bolting it to your nut sack.

When the component is gone, it's gone, at best that fix might buy you a month.

·
Registered
201 Posts
At least the turn around time is pretty good. My friends 360 was received at the repair facility yesterday or monday and was "repaired" and has already been shipped back today. I wonder how long till time number 3 is for him...or number 2 for me.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
so i been thinkin bout gettin a refurb now that you can get em for 150.

but i been seeing that rrod ones sell for 40-80 on ebay. and 80 seems like a lot for a busted one. so im assume that the 3 ring of death is pretty much always repairable? otherwise who would be droping 80 on these things?... ive seen all the vids and hear so many success stories. but its just a tough call because of the "what if" factor.. 80$ out the tube is tough..

i think im gonna offer this one dood here at work selling one 65 and take a shot in the dark..... thoughts on the rrod now thats its been a year since this thread?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts