Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
james i never even knew you had the rrod also lol

well i bought it off that guy for 60. started opening it. Holy Freakin Crap did they NOT want you getting into this thing lol.
Its definitely never been opened before, so thats a plus off the bat. but i dont have all the right star tools to take the screws out, i was able to get out all but four of the screws with a really small flat head, but i was getting afraid of stripping that star heads out so i stopped on those last four.

From the youtube vids i see it looks like i should pick up some washers to use as spacers and i can make a better seal on the heatsink once i remove it, i still need to look into that more before i go and buy everything. heres hoping i dont cook the thing and just throw 60$ in the toilet :p

·
1,674 Posts
I've fixed a lot of RROD 360's, it's easy. New thermal compound and eliminate the dumb x clamps and either screw heatsinks to motherboard or the chassis. My personal box I added the talismoon whisper fan and cut all the mesh out of the metal chassis I could as well.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
seriously?

interesting.. how did you screw it to the mobo? long screws with nuts on the back?

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
that guide is.. interesting. i think im going to go with the guide that basically does the same thing but without any drilling. you just use different screws and washers that match up with the spacing and size of that awful x-clamp. I duno where the turorial is casue i watched one on youtube, he had screens of a pdf he got offline and ive found like 3 threads saying ppl used that method with success. they even list out exactly what to buy at lowes/home depot.

as for the fan rpm, im not sure. i duno if im even going to bother putting my xbox online so i dont really care

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
yeah but you have to pay :p

also i read if i change out the dvd drive, which will take some modding as the power connector is proprietary, i can play burned games without much work at all. that would def get me busted, so another good reason to stay offline.. and since i already have it opened........

tough call

·
You best be trollin foo
4,053 Posts
yeah but you have to pay :p

also i read if i change out the dvd drive, which will take some modding as the power connector is proprietary, i can play burned games without much work at all. that would def get me busted, so another good reason to stay offline.. and since i already have it opened........

tough call
Blatantly illegal, and could end up in you getting sued / jailed one day for piracy, but it's your call the drive alteration does work.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
wow.. harsh.
guess you own every mp3 youve ever listened to legally. go you

yes i am a bad man, but i also have not done that yet. and probably wont, but i heard that its quite simple if you know how to solder.

i contacted Msoft about repairing and they said it could be around 100 bucks. and they may or may not even do it if its been opened.
the policy states if an attempt has been made to repair the unit by a non-microsoft technitian it "may" make it so they will not repair even if you pay them. so i guess it depends if anyone messed anything up and how badly.

If its going to run me 100, then i think ill take my chances with the custom fix, if it fails, i may just try and re-sell the board to someone that is willing to redo the leads on the board, which is the next step to repair. I can bolt on a heatsink no prob, but i dont have special solder tools or a steady enough hand to mess around with the board itself.

i may just look at getting a refurb unit, ive seen em for 150 at a few places.. or i might just pop the 199 and get a jasper chip, they have bigger heatsinks and "should" be immune from the rrod being caused by the gpu/heatsink or overheating

·
You best be trollin foo
4,053 Posts
wow.. harsh.
guess you own every mp3 youve ever listened to legally. go you
I never once gave my moral opinion on anything I told you the truth, if you want to know my view, well my 1000s of downloaded songs and hollywood movies prove that I could care less about copyright laws.

I'm just telling you Microsoft's stance on it.

·
Platinum Member #1
2,010 Posts
You will....
I don't think he will. 3rrod is only for folks that have smooth hands and not a lot of social time to speak of with friends and think that they believe they run faster with a knife. I bought my 360 off ebay for like 30 bucks and plugged it straight up and it worked. Poor kid thought it was broken. It just needed to have the heatsink on tighter.
it ringed. you all were right. lol 2 days after i paid for xbox live. fml lol

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
my rings at first press of the button, so its not overheating. im "hoping" its just something loose.
i have it 100% apart and powered up just the bare board and it RRings instantly. Time to pull off the x-clips and get me some lowes screws and see if i have any luck.... *Rolls the dice*

·
1,674 Posts
The over heating causes the board to desolder the connections to the GPU. You have to fix the x clamps, let the sinks get really hot while RROD and turn the unit off to completely cool down. If done right the unit is fixed.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
happy to say im still on my original xbox console. first and only. and ive already tampered with it n such. had it apart to pieces and what not. and it still works. WOOT!

guess mine never got hot enough to break... lol

·
G-Mills Pays tha Bills
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I actually sold that one to a friend, and bought a new arcade version, cuz it has the hdmi port.

·
Elantra04
1,009 Posts
[email protected]# that [email protected]#. When my red lights came on, I had one year left in the warranty. Since I assume it wouldn't take 1 year for it to act up again, I chose to just screw the warranty and built my own rig thanx to my trusty dremel. One 120mm air filter grill, painted white and a stronger fan. Stays nice and cool and doubles as a hand dryer if my hand are wet.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts