Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

3 Rings of Death!!!

9K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  Ugzz 
#1 ·
Today is tha day that my 360 got tha 3 rings of death!!!

I'm doom!!!

#2 ·
That sucks dude. Regular 360 or elite?

I had the regular 360 from release til the Elite came out, then I got the elite. Only time I've ever had the 3 riings of death is when the original 360 tipped over, but it was fine after I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

#10 ·
Yeah, it happens. As long as you know it'll happen because it's a Microsoft piece of junk then it's not too bad.

Microsoft is going to fix it right? I know it sucks to have to wait, my friend kennef couldn't wait and bought another one in the mean time. Hardcore.

#17 ·
i am sick of the games rebuttal
who gives a **** about games if the damn thing breaks so often?
thats like saying "even tho my car is in the shop half the time, it handles like a dream and gets great gas mileage!" but hell, you arent drivin it half the time and its not reliable

#28 ·
Likely, and a lot of individuals with original release 360's are long out of warranty, with the extension microsoft gave out included. However, there is a report that after the mandatory dash update, this week I think, a bunch of 360's crapped out. Check tomshardware.com for information on that.

#33 ·
good luck!
youtube says its usually a gpu heat issue and you can re-tighten the sinks.

theres a few sites selling repaired 360s that had this issue before and have had it repaired. your getting an older 360, but most places are sellin them for 150. geeks.com is one place

#37 ·
good luck!
youtube says its usually a gpu heat issue and you can re-tighten the sinks.
If the GPU has been damaged do to heat (melted) re-tightening the heat sink is just about as useful as bolting it to your nut sack.

When the component is gone, it's gone, at best that fix might buy you a month.

#34 ·
My friend's 360 got RRD last night during COD4. This is the second time he will have sent it in. Luckily I have a new Jasper chip set and it runs a lot cooler, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't have issues. I just wonder who runs MS's fiscal responsibility department, cause wouldn't it just be cheaper to upgrade broken units with NEW chip sets and all then to have to repair someones 2,3,4, etc. times?

#39 ·
so i been thinkin bout gettin a refurb now that you can get em for 150.

but i been seeing that rrod ones sell for 40-80 on ebay. and 80 seems like a lot for a busted one. so im assume that the 3 ring of death is pretty much always repairable? otherwise who would be droping 80 on these things?... ive seen all the vids and hear so many success stories. but its just a tough call because of the "what if" factor.. 80$ out the tube is tough..

i think im gonna offer this one dood here at work selling one 65 and take a shot in the dark..... thoughts on the rrod now thats its been a year since this thread?

#42 ·
james i never even knew you had the rrod also lol

well i bought it off that guy for 60. started opening it. Holy Freakin Crap did they NOT want you getting into this thing lol.
Its definitely never been opened before, so thats a plus off the bat. but i dont have all the right star tools to take the screws out, i was able to get out all but four of the screws with a really small flat head, but i was getting afraid of stripping that star heads out so i stopped on those last four.

From the youtube vids i see it looks like i should pick up some washers to use as spacers and i can make a better seal on the heatsink once i remove it, i still need to look into that more before i go and buy everything. heres hoping i dont cook the thing and just throw 60$ in the toilet :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.