Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found some replacement xenon white bulbs at the local auction for $10. Thing is they are 80w. I've seen 50/55/60w bulbs before for stock wiring harnesses and 100/110w for heavy duty wiring harnesses. Big question is, does anyone think I can run these 80w bulbs in a stock wiring harness with no damage? Hmmmmm???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might just do that. I saw a harness at the local Kragen. Was wondering because I was doing some research and it basically said that most stock harnesses will usually handle up to 80w. Anything over that and it would start taking it's toll on the wires.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah, but when they handle "up to" 80 and you're about to put in an 80 watt bulb, why take the chance on frying your harnesses? Especially when the alternative is so cheap :0)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, going to get a harness tomorrow just in case...or I mean today (damn it's late). But, I will say I was daring and put them in for a little while this evening. Ran them for about 15 minutes, then checked to see if there was any excessive heat...no more than usual. So then went to a friends house about 40 minutes away, checked them again, no hotter than they were when I ran them for 15. They are not too much brighter than the other bulbs I was running, but probably the whitest xenon bulb I've ever seen. For the price, I'm happy. :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
I bought cheap assed xenon bulbs off ebay once. They didnt last a month. I bought 100 watt XD5 xenon bulbs from gloabalpremier.com and have had no further trouble. Have not changed any wiring, just the bulbs. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
2BIT said:
I bought cheap assed xenon bulbs off ebay once. They didnt last a month. I bought 100 watt XD5 xenon bulbs from gloabalpremier.com and have had no further trouble. Have not changed any wiring, just the bulbs. Highly recommended.
Agree! XD5s own!!! Mine are 100w, and had them for a long time already!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XD5s huh? Will have to try them. 100w you say?

I have a 1 hour commute each way to work and in the winter it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home. My headlights are always on. Haven't had a set last more than about 6 months so far. These bulbs only cost me $10 and they guy at the dirt mall (aka flea market/auction) said they are lifetime warranty and if I brought back a burned out bulb with the receipt, he would give me new ones, no questions asked. Question is will his booth be there forever, probably not, but he has been there for the last 2 years in the same spot so I might at least get one or two more free replacements if he honors his word.

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
SilverWolf said:
XD5s huh? Will have to try them. 100w you say?

I have a 1 hour commute each way to work and in the winter it's dark when I leave and dark when I get home. My headlights are always on. Haven't had a set last more than about 6 months so far. These bulbs only cost me $10 and they guy at the dirt mall (aka flea market/auction) said they are lifetime warranty and if I brought back a burned out bulb with the receipt, he would give me new ones, no questions asked. Question is will his booth be there forever, probably not, but he has been there for the last 2 years in the same spot so I might at least get one or two more free replacements if he honors his word.
I personally have yet to try the XD5's, but from my experience with any of the "Xenon" bulbs, the blue coating on them actually gives you less light output than a stock H7 bulb. Try driving in the rain with these blue bulbs and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes our eyes are fooled into thinking that the light output is much brighter because the light is "whiter", but if it was measured it's actually the other way around.
Then again the XD5's are 100W I believe, compared to the stock 55W. I'm sure it puts out a lot of light, but beware of that bluish light in the rain and dark! I've given up on buying aftermarket bulbs now since my car always burns a H7 bulb in 2 months or less. I'll just try to get real HIDs one of these days :redface:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts