Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These may be dumb questions, but better safe than sorry. I am in the midst of installing a Viper 350HV alarm that I had laying around, in my 2003 Elantra GLS. I am to the point that I was going to wire for the door trigger, I'm planning on using the dome light wire to sense when the doors are open. I'm a little confused because the only wire I have found that relates to the dome light is hot when the doors are closed, and looses power when they are open, then the dome light comes on. My alarm has the polarity listed for this wire as negative...

1. Is it okay to hook up to this wire and will it work?

2. Does this wire just sense voltage changes? (if so why does it have a polarity specified)

3. Where did everyone else wire this option?

4. Can I use more than one LED for my indicator, like blue ones in the corners of each door near the glass?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
1) yes it is okay to use this wire for the door trigger, unless your car has the factory wireless/alarm, in which case see point (3). if you are using a test light, what you are reading is the voltage across the dome light from the positive side. when you open the door, the the wire is becoming ground for the light, providing a path completion for the voltage across the bulb. if you have an ohm-meter it will sense this.

2) it is sensing a ground signal, not a voltage drop.

3) i used a different wire, the door trigger wire. the reason is because the wire you want to use provides a "fading" ground signal for the domelight fade-out on ETACS-equipped elantras. the door trigger wire, on the other hand, is dead when doors are closed and ground when any door is open, regardless of the state of "fadeout" the dome light is in. you may want to check out my DIY for adding alarms/accesories to the elantra ETACS (the ETACS is ONLY found on elantras with factory alarm/keyless!):

tapping into the ETACS

i used connector A pin 18. you are proposing to use connector A pin 11 (if you have keyless).

4) you can use additional LEDs (good luck wiring them into the doors). but first determine what voltage your viper alarm sends to the LED. if it sends 12V and you hook up 3V LEDs they may burn out. check out these tutorial pages (part of the same site):

LED basics

LED circuitry tutorial

again, if your GLS does NOT have factory alarm/keyless, then the wire you are proposing is fine!

let us know how it goes!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts