Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does the Accord Intake Fit the XD Elantra?
In a word YES!! Most, if not ALL the 94-97 Accord intakes will fit our cars. Be it either the 1,2,3piece versions Generic Ebay, AOS, AEM etc etc. The designers of these intakes all had a 94-97 Accord to work from. See example below

What price can I expect to pay?
Prices for the Accord intakes range from Ebay ones $30-$40 to APC/AEM $60-100 maybe more

What version is the best?
Personal preferance is the two piece intake. But any of the above listed will do. There are just more fitment adjustments possible with more pieces

How easy is it to install?
Its easy!!! Installation should take you anywhere from 1/2hr to 1 hr depending on your mechanical aptitude. Some simple removals, connections and instal is basically in reverse but even easier.

Is there any cutting involved during the install?
There may involve cutting of the end of the CAI. This depends on your preference though. You should use your own discretion as to the ending location of the CAI.
You will need to bend the lip of the wheel well entry location slightly to allow for free access into that area. Some rubber padding should avoid any rattles or banging. If you cut any metal, don't forget the rust proof paint.

Any other cutting involved?
For use of the AEM intake, it was confirmed in an earlier thread that the end of the tubing inside the fender well does need to be cut off about 3" for the filter to have a nice home If your concerned about appearance, don't be YOU CAN'T SEE THE FILTER anyways

Where is the CAI routed?
The CAI is connected the the Throttle body by a provided silicone conector. It takes a few turns, goes threw the stock intake location hole behind the battery and eventually ends up in the wheel well.
Pic shows finished routing of a three piece version.

Will the intake make contact or bang into any of the other engine components?
There is a posibility of this happening. The intake MAY come into contact with the brake fluid reservoir or its tubing. To avoid this situation try readjusting the itake and its connections. If you still can't avoid contact. Wrap the Brake fluid tubing with a small rubber hose that you slit in half. This will protect it.

Do I NEED the AEM bypass valve?
USE your own discretion here. Yes, if you plan on driving threw deep puddles up to your wheel centerline or if you live in a flood prone area.

What HP can I expect to see from this Mod?
You should realistically expect anywhere from 5-10HP, This increase will give your car the added HP to help overcome that lag at around 3800RPM's

Can I combine Different versions of intakes?
Yes, its been done here. http://www.elantraxd.com/yapp/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=916

What size diameter is the best?
Subjective but the best size intake Dia. for any 4cyl engine is 2 1/2". This is Dyno proven many times over. Any cone filter CAI in a 2 1/2" size will still provide More air than the engine can realistically use.

Can I use the 2003 Tiburon CAI?
You can use the V6 CAI, overall length might be an issue though. there would be a 6" section missing from the long section of tubing where the MAF sensor goes. And its a 3" DIA. See point above.
What about the I4 CAI?
Sure will

ADDED INFO
Is it loud?
YES

Do I need to move the battery?
NO you do not, I managed to install the accord intake without moving or cutting the battery tray. Simple adjustments of the tubing angles will take care of this.

Many props go to Fordfaster, MCM and Daille for their inovations and pioneering

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a couple of questions:

Has anybody found a CAI made specifically for the elantraXD?

If not, what is the CAI kit that is the easiest to install?

If I decide to go with a short ram kit, is there one out there that somebody can reccommend?

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
#1 The only Elantra specific CAIs were from KORE(no longer avail), Shark Racing, and EvoFusion.
#2 A 94-97 4cyl Accord multi-piece intake that is 2.5-2.75 outside diameter. Other than that they are all the same, one "brand" really isn't better or easier to install than another
#3 Check with FordFaster on the short ram he was selling some not sure if he still is, other than that whatever is cheapest. All it is, is a tube with a filter on the end, nothing special here.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
I have an Accord CAI installed on my 04 GLS. I payed less than $50 shipped, and it was an easy install. Had to cut a section of pipe out to make room for the MAF sensor, then buy two more couplings and I'm good to go. Great sound, great performance, a C-note cheaper than the name-brands. What more can you ask for. lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just bought one on ebay for $19 plus $15 shipping. Just a piece of piping with a filter. More expensive one just have a fancy name on it

·
Registered
454 Posts
Neurowave said:
Has anyone tried the Accord AEM v2 on their Elantras?
Not that I am aware of but they have very impressive numbers with that intake on other cars.

·
Registered
231 Posts
well, i think the outer part of the v-2 makes the intake too thick to fit on our car, unless you move the battery to the trunk.
simply shifting the battery a little to the side won't work in this case.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have money to spend then get a Injen CAI.

RD1380P or RD1380BLK They are for 2003 Hyundai Tiburon 4cyl and fits perfectly..... I posted pictures on the old forum. Go search...

For 2004~ Elantra, you can cut the upper pipe and install the MAF with two right size couplers...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Elkane7533 said:
well, i think the outer part of the v-2 makes the intake too thick to fit on our car, unless you move the battery to the trunk.
simply shifting the battery a little to the side won't work in this case.
I think you are right on this. I believe the intake is close to 4 inches

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys, yes I am a newb and I will start going through all the newbie post to see what they have been writing but I saw your post about the Accord Intake and I had a question for you since I was looking at buying one. I have a 1.6L 1994 Hyundai Elantra that I am fixing up. I already have a custom fit Catback system from Magnaflow installed and I am looking to change the air intake. Would the 94 accord CAI or Ram air intake work? They are all over Ebay for next to nothing so even if it doesn't I not out much. If the accord wouldn't work could a tibby intake work on it? Plus what the hell do I do that MAF sensor? That thing is huge sitting in the air Filter box. Thanks. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
So just use the K/N Filter an that I have on there now with the Tibby intake? This is the problem that I am not sure if my model has incommon with the later models. I attached a picture that gives a breakdown of the air intake system for my model. The problem I see with a new intake is the "Volume Air Flow Sensor". As far as I can tell it has to be hooked up to the computer by the plug that is at the top right of the VAFS module. This part would have to still be able to fit inside of a filter for the CAI. Is there anyway around it. This is the part that is causing me the problem with deciding what to do? Any ideas?

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Attached to the last posting is the diagram from on online manual for my make and model. It gives the break down of the engines air intake system. I can take pictures as well though to show you exactly what it looks like in the car itself.

Scott

1 - 20 of 354 Posts