Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Enthusiast
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm still pretty new here and probably rather young. I've been reading about offsets and whatnot. But I'm not quite sure on what will fit, what I'm looking for is a wheel that will sit flush with the fender or close to it. I found this brand call STR Wheels, yes I know they are re-produced but there affordable on a youths wages. What I would like some help with is properly understanding offsets so I can make a choice.

This is the look I'm trying to achieve
2003-hyundai-elantra-stanced-open-for-trades_1349109-8585.jpg

STR606B-GUNMETAL-800x720.jpg
STR 606

STR-515-Blk-Mach-Lip.png
STR 515

STR-501-15x8-Blk-800x800.jpg
STR 501

STR523-2-800x757.jpg
STR 523

str526-1-784x800.jpg
STR 526

·
Enthusiast
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrElantra104, is there a certan width we can fit?

Below is the size of the STR 526

15X8.25 4-100/4-114.3 +12 $159.99

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well the rims that I got are str 15x8j 0 offset 4x114 and 4x100 & they poke out just a bit & as the member jay cam gots some 17x9j on his elantra

KDM_STANCE_XD2

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah you have lots of gap there... Whatever you do don't do coilover sleeves.. It looks cool but rides like sh?t, go with a good set of coil overs... I did the sleeves cuz it was cheap and my stock springs were busted... It was a mistake... I have to go to the chiropractor every other day cuz the ride is so hard... Going with air as soon as possible... BTW... I'm right out by you... Been in Grand junction and Denver all week...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yes I do I hate & I wont I wanna get racelands coilovers I've heard theyre worth the price & nah im not getting no sleeves & I wanna get me another car for my daily driving to work n stuff & im in salt lake city & really were just next door

KDM_STANCE_XD2

·
Enthusiast
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sorry guys but this isn't helping me at all, I saw MrElantra104's XD with the wheels poking out, does anyone know what I need for the flush fitment which I'm aming for?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yeah you have lots of gap there... Whatever you do don't do coilover sleeves.. It looks cool but rides like sh?t, go with a good set of coil overs... I did the sleeves cuz it was cheap and my stock springs were busted... It was a mistake... I have to go to the chiropractor every other day cuz the ride is so hard... Going with air as soon as possible... BTW... I'm right out by you... Been in Grand junction and Denver all week...

Speak for yourself.

I am the only person on EXD to ever successfully do a set of coilover sleeves, and it rode great.

No bounce, very stiff, little suspension travel. The car felt very planted until the suspension bushings started to go.

If you want some lower offset wheels to sit flush with the fender and not rub like crazy, you will need a pretty stiff suspension setup. Hell, even with +42 offset wheels I had rubbing issues and had to run -3 degrees of camber in the rear, -2 ish up front and rolled front fenders/removed bumper bolts.

Cosmo coilover sleeves(pretty popular with the e30/older bmw crowd) and some KYB excel G's.

The excel G's are a bit stiffer than the stock GT struts apparently, and the spring rates in those coilover sleeves seemed to match up very well with them. No floaty feeling or bounce, and the ride wasn't too harsh either on the highway.

My green dot sway bar didn't hurt either though.

edit: Why do you want some chinese made knock off wheels when you can get some higher quality wheels used for cheap. I scored my 5zigens with tires for $160 and I even got help putting them on. Unlike the low QC chinese wheels, 5zigen tests each wheel to exceed JWL standards and DOT standards, and on top of that they are low pressure spun cast(strongest and most expensive form of casting).

I'm just saying, you should take your time, and build it right the first time around. Knock offs are fine for a first set of wheels, but research as much as you can, and ask yourself if you would rather spend money on some reps or wait and save for some higher quality wheels. Also consider your suspension setup. What do you look for in a good suspension setup, a soft yet sporty ride that's better than stock? A hard ride that feels planted at all times?

If you want to sit flush and don't care about ride quality too much because the car is just a fun beater, cut the springs(never thought I would tell anyone to do this) and get some +20ish offset wheels and you will have a bit of poke, but with stretched tires(assuming that the rim is wide enough) and a few degrees of negative camber.

Sorry if I seem a big harsh, but I am trying to stop you guys from being ricers.

Read through: http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?43291-my-2005-Elantra-XD2
Started off kind of ricey, but went to pure gold. His car is my favorite XD2 sedan ever.

Also look through:
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?28-Official-Rim-Gallery

Do research, wheels/tires and coilovers are a big investment, and possibly worth more than your car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh mine is stiff.. And I like stiff... I get almost no bounce... On a nice road I corner like its on rails.. But you throw a speed bump in there or something potholes at her and it literally hurts your kidneys. I've gotten used to it now but it's definatly not for everyone. I went with the stance look over DrIvability cuz I'm a vain jerk off... No lie. But I don't recomend anyone follow my footsteps. And as for " looking ricey" I think it's all what you are happy with. You want a chrome nonfunctional hood scoop cuz you think it's cool, screw what everybody else likes... It's your car... I like the " holy sh!t that thing is too low and must bottom out everywhere" look cuz that's cool in my eyes... And at the end of the day I did lower it too much and it does bottom out everywhere... Won't ruin my smile for a second... Do what YOU like, not what others like...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Oh mine is stiff.. And I like stiff... I get almost no bounce... On a nice road I corner like its on rails.. But you throw a speed bump in there or something potholes at her and it literally hurts your kidneys. I've gotten used to it now but it's definatly not for everyone. I went with the stance look over DrIvability cuz I'm a vain jerk off... No lie. But I don't recomend anyone follow my footsteps. And as for " looking ricey" I think it's all what you are happy with. You want a chrome nonfunctional hood scoop cuz you think it's cool, screw what everybody else likes... It's your car... I like the " holy sh!t that thing is too low and must bottom out everywhere" look cuz that's cool in my eyes... And at the end of the day I did lower it too much and it does bottom out everywhere... Won't ruin my smile for a second... Do what YOU like, not what others like...
I agree with doing what you like 100%, but I've heard them throw around things like clean, and stance. Their cars are neither clean or have any sort of aggressive fitment(which I assume is what they were referring to when they said stance). I assume that they want to have cars that can fit in the overused category of "clean" and they want a car that has "stance". Last time I checked a wing that doesn't compliment the body lines of the car or provide downforce, black wheels, insanely high ride height with small wide wheels and a hood scoop don't fit in either category.

Sorry guys, you know who you are and someone had to say it. I don't mean to be an *******, but it's rather someone on the internet says something or you will find out by getting laughed out of a car meet.

Oh yeah, did you cut your bump stops when you did coilover sleeves? I didn't, and whenever I hit a big pothole it was pretty terrible. Luckily it was stiff enough that it was a pretty rare occurrence though.

Watch this video, and ask yourself if you want to be "that guy".

5zigen wheels R made in china.
Know your **** before posting about it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm going bososuko style... It's ricer plus 10...

Having a boso car doesn't mean you are ricer, or even related to being a ricer. Bosozoku refers a motorcycle gang/style. People confuse kyusha kai, bosozoku, zokusha, and shakotan all the time. Are you going to go with the large chin spoiler, huge overfenders, low as ****, and large tail pipes?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts