Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at possibly buying the Aero Turbine muffler and wonder if anyone has used it or know anyone that has. My goal is more power without the additional noise. This site has wave files but none of them are of a 4 cyclinder. Any opinions. Thanks:

http://www.aero-turbine.com

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
Looks interesting, won't give the same gains as a straight through muffler but it looks like it should be quiter. No way to know how it'll really perform, so go buy it and let us know what you think.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
I saw these a while back and was thinking about trying it too.

·
o.O
22 Posts
i heard about these either on this board or another one...don't they have intakes?

either way...the whole point of the post on the other board is that when you're installing something for exhaust/intake, the idea is to make the most direct path for your air flow...which...this thing sounds a little bogus.

"When the incoming exhaust air stream enters the Aeroturbine it is rapidly expanded due to the properties of heat transfer, and then split via an airfoil cone with an orifice similar to a conical jet engine."
- hot air expands...air comming from the engine into the exhaust would be hot...but they're talking about heat transfer, which would involve the hot going to cold...which means the air would become more dense as it cooled down (flowing through the exhaust)
- the other thing they're talking about is speeding up the velocity of the air as it exits the exhaust...which can make sense (i'm chalking the above point up as being a typo on their part, or just a 2 second explanation on rather large theory...)....the one thing you'd want to make sure of is that if their intake end of the exhaust is the same size as the exhaust end - changing the size (IE; large intake of exhaust from engine, smaller exhaust tip) would speed up the velocity of the air just through the physics of fluids...but it wouldn't necessarily mean that you'd be getting better airflow

they need a, "SHOW US THE DYNO" smiley.... o_O

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys, yeah looks interesting.

Tapehands: Their theory is that part of the exhaust goes straight through while the other part is twisted and joined with the straight through exhaust to cause a scavengening effect. This is also what where the sound cancelation comes in. If you were to install this thing backwards it should be loud as hell. I would be using their 2525 muffler (2.5 in/2.5 out).They have dyno runs for each muffler:

http://www.aero-turbine.com/benefits/index.html#HondaVTec

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
All those dynos are really showing is that their muffler is better than stock.

but that doesnt proove how much better it is than a standard straight through muffler...

btw...

the honda vtec dyno shows 93whp stock and 96whp with their muffler..

ANY straight through muffler will help to make 3 whp on any car...

also, they are not showing the decimal values with those dyno numbers.. Maybe they rounded DOWN for the stock dyno, and rounted UP for the muffler dyno...

Also, the torque difference for the civic was only 1 wtq.

also, on the turbo eclipse dyno...

ok i'll stop now... point made.

·
-
471 Posts
The numbers aren't impressive except for one, the mpg increase. Still, if you can get the same performance from a comparable Magnaflow muffler (#14616) at 1/3 - 1/2 the price, what's the point of the Aeroturbine?

·
o.O
22 Posts
Eh...I still don't see how that would help get the air out faster...the whole thing just seems gimmicky. Also, with both ends being equal sizes, there should be absolutely no speedup of the air...if anything, the air being put out by the exhaust should be comming out at a slower speed than the air comming in (air resistence and all from the supposed "turbine" part...), unless they've got some crazy scientists over there that can put energy into a system from nowhere.... bah.

it's possible that it could work, but if it does...why doesn't everyone swear by these things? additionally, any aftermarket parts company worth their muster use actual dynos....not just powerpoint graphs that any monkey with a computer can whip up...just personal observation there...

someone buy one of these, dyno, then cut it apart if it sucks -P

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
tapehands said:
Eh...I still don't see how that would help get the air out faster...the whole thing just seems gimmicky. Also, with both ends being equal sizes, there should be absolutely no speedup of the air...if anything, the air being put out by the exhaust should be comming out at a slower speed than the air comming in (air resistence and all from the supposed "turbine" part...), unless they've got some crazy scientists over there that can put energy into a system from nowhere.... bah.

someone buy one of these, dyno, then cut it apart if it sucks -P
its called turbulence. Just because one end is the same size as the other doesn't mean the gas will be traveling at the same speed when it leaves. Air can compress. You would have to be pumping water for your theory to be true. If that thing truly does smooth out the air flow it wont speed it up beyond what it was moving at to begin with but it will exit closer to the speed it started at. Or something like that :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts