Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are these very thin halogen foglights (I hate to admit this but I think they're APC. anyway...) That I want to install into the bumper of my elantra, and the only thing standing in my way of doing it is the wiring.
I want them to come on when the "driving" lights (or whatever they're called, ya know, the amber ones...the blinkers.) come on, but i don't want the fogs to blink. Is there a way to rig this up?
I do remember something similar to this being posted, about needed a new knob on the steering wheel column to accomplish this....

How can I rig this up?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
There are many ways to do it. One is to tap into the sidemarker light like I did. The sides on the 04 don't blink. Also, I don't know if yours has the little city lights in the headlight pod, but if it does, you can use those too. Contrary to what I have seen elsewhere, make sure you use a relay to hook these up. I have seen other people saying that you can use the power wire from the sidemarker (for example) to run the fogs with no relay (not on this board). I would not try that at all. The small gauge wire they use for those is nowhere near large enough to run a high amp light like the fogs. If you want to attempt to do this on our own, let me know and I can walk you through wiring the relay. Wiring is not nearly as hard as some make it out to be.

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you mean sides, do you mean sidemarkers? If so I can use those...
(because I plan on not housing a bulb in there. Gonna stick in some blue LEDs)
Just walk me through it.

I have an '01 by the way, I hope the wiring isnt different.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yes, I do mean the sidemarkers. You can still put any bulb in there that you want. All you will be doing is tapping into the wire to use it for a trigger for the relay. That way it doesn't pull too many amps from the factory lighting system.
Here is what you need to do. Go to a local auto parts store that sells the brand name A/C Delco. Buy one of the part number 15-8426 (relay). It should be somewhere around 10-15 dollars. Buy approx 10-12 ft of 12 gauge wire in red and black, and the same in 16 gauge. On the relay, you will see 5 terminals that are numbered. Run the red 12 ga. wire from terminal 30 of the relay to the battery. Run more of the red 12 ga. wire from terminal 87 to the positive side of your foglights. Run the red 16 ga. wire from terminal 85 to the sidemarker (using a t-tap to tap into the positive wire of the sidemarker pigtail). Run the black 16 ga. wire from terminal 86 to a good ground. With these wires run, you can then split the 12 ga. wire you ran to the lights, and hook up both of the positive terminals of the lights. All you need to do then is use the 12 ga. black wires to ground the lights somewhere up front. I chose the bottom of the radiator core support to ground the lights. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't once you start into it. By the way, you will not be using the fifth terminal of the relay named 87a.
If you need anymore help, let me know and I will walk you through it.

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All these instructions are "uhhhhhhh" to me without pictures, but I'm gonna go to my auto-store and pick this relay up, hopefully everything will fall into place when I get it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Go to Archives, go to the DIY Section, look under 2003 Foglight DIY All you need for installing factory fogs to the sidemarkers is there, along with a DIY on how to take the sidemarkers in and out under installing clear sidemarkers. You will be amazed at how easy it is. Just be careful with the sidemarker wires, they are NOT that big and you can cut all the way through them or break them pretty easy. Mine are wired to the sides and work great, never had a problem.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There is ALOT of people who have ran the wires to the sidemarkers, and I don't think we are dumb...

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the thing dragozero, I personally think that having a seperate switch for fogs is really dumb, even tho it's standard on many vehicles. :)
lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts