Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dum de dum de dum
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of buying a set of aftermerket racing seats for the front 2 seats in my car. i saw on the diy for removing the seats that there are air bag connectors. do racing seats come with that? and can i install the racing seats in my car if i have a driver and passanger side air bags? thanks....

·
Registered
732 Posts
Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
The only issue with leaving the side airbags disconnected is that the fronts won't work either. If you don't mind not having the airbags or having the ins company deny the claim because you messed with the saftey equipment on the car go for it.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
**To add to the already good information***

No, you do not have to give up your 3 point safety harness (stock seatbelt) for a 4 or 5 point. Its all a matter of welding the seatbelt retainer to the new seat and to the floor.

Sucks that we lose the airbags though. I have 3A racing seats, and i did a little test to make sure that we aren't getting airbags. (DONT TRY THIS AT HOME).

I tried to manually set off the bags by tripping the sensor up front. I jumped the sensor and gave it 12 volts. Not a damn thing. Proof that if you disconnect your airbags by putting in aftermarket seats, you will lose your front airbags.

BUT what you can do is close the circut under the seat by jumping the two connecters together. I closed that sensor by using a circut jumper and my airbag light went off... I have had the seats for 5 months now and never had the airbag light go off and the airbags wouldn't deploy, there wasn't even any power at any of the airbag sensors.

AFTER I closed the circut though there is constant power at the front and fender sensors, not in the side though. SO if you TBONED, you are shot. If you get hit from the front or hit someone, you'll be strait.

just my .02 take it or leave it

shawn :)

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I dont think the loss of the airbags is worth it! I would rather have them there if I need them!

·
Registered
429 Posts
i'm gonna call up my insurance guy and tell him im looking at changing my seats out but i'm going to try to keep my front airbags. that way my insurance will go up but they won't be able to deny my claim because they know....right?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Actually, your insurance agent will probably tell you that anything you do to tamper with the airbags will cancel any claim you try to make. Since the car originally came with airbags, they'll want them there. I ran into this when I put a Grant steering whell on a car with an airbag. They didn't like it at all.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Its not a good idea IMO to rmove your seats and lose the airbags. I have a GT and I like the leather so maybe its different with cloth or something. I dont know but If you have an accident and get hurt how stupid are you going to feel having to tell people well I wouldnt have been hurt as bad if I left my seats in?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
not having side airbags in my car I installed racing seats and now just have to find out what the resistance of the seat sensors are, that and the seat belt resitance. Duplicate those and your airbags will operate as normal.

oh SED, I'm using my rear seat belt for the time being as I haven't found a long enough strapped floor mount yet. works great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts