Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right before the board cutover, I registered on the site because of a thread about the airbag light on the '04 models. Here's my post from the old board:

I just registered because of this thread. My girlfriend drives an '04 GT Sedan, and whenever either of us is in the passenger seat the light will go on and off during the course of a drive. We took it in to the dealer for the problem (twice) and they said they can't do anything because they can't reproduce the problem. Well, somebody is going to have a problem if we ever get in a wreck and the airbag doesn't go off... I'm not sure of what to do, since the dealer won't fix it; should I go to Hyundai directly, thus lowering the dealership's rating with corporate? Has anyone had problems like this with dealers not fixing problems before? I know some members here work at Hyundai dealerships; what does your dealership do in cases like this?
Here's a link to the old thread: http://www.elantraxd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=40;action=display;threadid=8022

This really seems like a common problem on the '04s. I'd like some advice on how to best deal with my dealership on this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
check the connectors the bottom of the seat and make sure they are secured to the seat. My 03 has done this because I have them just hanging there because of all the times I took the seat out to go the track. Whenever it was on the last time I just stuck my hand under the seat and jiggled the connectors and it has not come on since.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice, but I am having the same problem. I think the weight sensor in the passenger seat is placed in a poor location. I believe the passenger has to sit "just right" to active the switch. Some of my friends make the light go off, while others cause it to come on every few seconds or minutes. To fix the problem, Hyundai will probably have to relocate the sensor to a different part of the seat, or go with a different type of sensor. Maybe we SHOULD talk to Hyundai directly, as this is sounding more and more like a "Recall"!!!

·
Pimp/Hustla
213 Posts
It's a problem with the wire. I took it to the dealer a year ago, and they said it was due to my Optima battery. I took it to the SAME dealer last month and they said it was a problem they'd been having with the wire positioning. Retards.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Does this sensor control just the light or the operation of the airbag as well? I'm just curious to see, if anyone knows? It seems to me if it is this sensitive that it would need to be a recall if it controlled the actual operation of the airbag. If it is just the light then I guess a relocation of the sensor is a better bet, but I suppose this could be a recall too. Hmm... I guess this post isn't of much help, ha, oh wells. Good luck getting it resolved.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the owner's manual, the sensor controls both the light and the airbag operation; the way the manual reads, any time the light is on, the airbag will not deploy.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
If its a problem with the sensor then it affects the airbag. If its a problem with the light then there is no danger. Those sensors do seem to be in a location that your ass may not always hit and some smaller built women wont trigger it if they arent directly on it. It doesnt sound like a problem that will hurt anyone but it would be nice to have it checked anyway just to be sure. My two cents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's definitely a problem with the sensor, rather than the light. If someone over, say, 180 pounds sits in the seat then the light never comes on. But it does come on for both myself and my girlfriend. Neither one of us weighs less than 56.4 pounds, which, according to the owner's manual, is the weight under which the airbag won't deploy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I say check the connectors, thats been my problem. I have an amp under that seat so everytime the seat moves, the connection gets draged a cross it and ::blink:: the light goes on. If its a problem, find out if the switch has to be grounded to produce the signal and just ground it out, then it will go off no matter what. Or keep taking it to the dealer, make one of the guys sit in the car with you til the problem comes back. The connector thing is a low resistance code, and the airbag will still deploy... the sensor thing issue means the bag wont deploy.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I have some information for you guys.

I talked to HMA claims rep at the dealership i used to work at in CT. Whenever that airbag light is on, no matter what the reason, THE AIRBAGS WILL NOT DEPLOY. So for all of us with aftermarket seats we are taking a very big risk with the front airbags deploying. I mean I know the sides aren't going off duh, but wtf they had to include them all on one circut?

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

shawn

·
Registered
732 Posts
Same thing happens in my GT, The delearship wants me to come in when I get my JD Powers survey, and I will hang that over their head to get it fixed. I read that there was a recal of Elantras with this problem, it said that all of the affected vehicles were sent to Enterprise rent-a-car, I guess not.

The recal # is 03v322000

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
jameswing said:
Same thing happens in my GT, The delearship wants me to come in when I get my JD Powers survey, and I will hang that over their head to get it fixed. I read that there was a recal of Elantras with this problem, it said that all of the affected vehicles were sent to Enterprise rent-a-car, I guess not.

The recal # is 03v322000

I found this:

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
HYUNDAI / ELANTRA 2004

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V322000 Recall Date : AUG 20, 2003
Component: AIR BAGS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 75
Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, IF THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT IS UNOCCUPIED OR IS OCCUPIED BY SOMEONE LIGHTER THAN 56.4 POUNDS, THE PASSENGER AIR BAG IS DEACTIVATED AND WILL NOT DEPLOY IF A CRASH OCCURS. HOWEVER, THE OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SENSOR MAY INCORRECTLY INTERPRET THAT A SEATED ADULT IS AN INFANT SEAT AND DEACTIVATE THE PASSENGER AIR BAG IF SOMEONE HEAVIER THAN 56.4 POUNDS WHO IS SEATED WITH ONE LEG RESTING ON THE OUTBOARD OR INBOARD EDGE OF THE SEAT; WITH LEGS SPREAD; OR POSITIONED OFF-CENTER TOWARD THE CENTER CONSOLE AND WITH HIS OR HER ARM LEANING ON THE CONSOLE.
Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A VEHICLE CRASH, THE AIR BAG MAY NOT DEPLOY, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN SERIOUS INJURY TO THE RIGHT FRONT PASSENGER.
Remedy:
THE OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SENSOR WILL BE REPROGRAMMED.
Notes:
HYUNDAI RECALLNO. 062. ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WERE DELIVERED TO ENTERPRISE RENT-A-CAR AND WILL NOT BE PLACED IN SERVICE UNTIL THE RECALL REPAIR WORK IS COMPLETE. CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION FOR THIS CAMPAIGN IS NOT NECESSARY. ALSO, CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.