Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
04 GT, A few days back my air bag light turned on and red, and stayed red. It flashed a few times first. Now its always on.

I didnt really care much at first, but now I noticed that the horn doesn't work when I press the steering wheel. So I'm wondering if theres any quick fix or way to figure out what might be going on without going to the $100.hr ripoff joints. I'm mainly concerned about the horn.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
I don't know a simpler way to say this:
TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!!!!

It's not that hard people. There's areason why we have warranties. If your horn doesn't work/SRS light on means the clock spring is probably bad and the AIR BAG will NOT deploy if needed. GET IT FIXED.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that informative post. Obviously I would take it to the dealer IF IT WERE UNDER WARRANTY.

Its not. Period. Therefore I ask if anyone has any advice on the HORN.

I don't care about the airbag, if I can fix both so be it, but for now I can't immediately afford to go to a dealer and have them charge me a ridiculous amount to fix both problems.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
2 posts and you start with the sarcasm. Nice.

Want it fixed? You'll have to fix both.

Oh, and thanks for raising my insurance rates.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Um, Bob correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure you will, but I am not if you really look at your post) but you started with the screaming and sarcasm. He obviously does not have a warranty on it, which is what you screamed at him about. You probably could have worded your post something like, "if you have a warranty take it to the dealer if you don't then I don't know how to help you."

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Flat out, the part he needs and the scanners he needs to get the problem he is asking about is only going to be avaialbel at the dealer. Like it or Lump it. I care not. There's the information you need, take it as you will.

I'm sorry, but anyone dumb enough to drive an unsafe vehicle around posing a danger to himself and all occupants needs a little yelling. By the driver's bag being inoerable, the rest of the SRS/seatbelt system is also inop. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks rck. I will take it to the dealer if I must, but I was hoping for a little more help instead of the response I immediately got. Quite a wakeup call to a newb to this forum.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Your welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Not a problem drac, Bob is actually a real knowledgeable guy and a great contributor to the site, he just goes off a little from time to time. His info is pretty accurate though, other than checking fuses the dealer is your best bet.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You could unhook the battery...wait 15 minutes and take off the airbag and see if the horn/airbag harnesses might have wiggled loose. There is a DIY that shows how to remove the bag...follow it and good luck!!

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Since the horn runs through the clockspring (I don't mean pass through, but plugs into it and runs through the actual clock spring's internal wiring) that's going to be the most probably problem. SRS light + no horn= Bad clock spring.

Has the car been wrecked? If so then they probably did not replace te CS because alot of underhanded shops do the minimum that they can get away with.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I changed the bags in my car Bob....so I know how it goes...lol.

Sometimes weird things happen, so horn+bag=bad CS....yes possible, but it COULD be something off-the-wall...like loose connections. It's not always the most obvious thing.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Well if we're gonna go that route we might as well say a blind monkey is living in the dash area eating wires to stay alive. ANYTHING could happen.

I'm just really used to seeing these overpriced honduhs needing the same thing replaced. We stock 'em for 3 different models if that tells you anything.

·
Player to be named later
3,334 Posts
Thanks for that informative post. Obviously I would take it to the dealer IF IT WERE UNDER WARRANTY.

Its not. Period. Therefore I ask if anyone has any advice on the HORN.

I don't care about the airbag, if I can fix both so be it, but for now I can't immediately afford to go to a dealer and have them charge me a ridiculous amount to fix both problems.
How many miles do you have? If less than 60,000, you still are under bumper-to-bumper warranty which is transferrable to all owners of the car, not just the first. Also, check the warranty paperwork; air bag system may have extra warranty requirements that may exclude mileage or something.

That said, I've had my car a year and a half and have 30,000 miles on it, so a three-year-old car with more than 60,000 is not all that unbelievable. But still, check your warranty info.

If I were you, I'd pay attention to Bob when he gives out useful information. But you can ignore him the rest of the time. Unfortunately you gotta read his posts before you figure out which is which. :abovelol:

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
That said, I've had my car a year and a half and have 30,000 miles on it, so a three-year-old car with more than 60,000 is not all that unbelievable. But still, check your warranty info.
FYI, I put more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle in one year.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
If I were you, I'd pay attention to Bob when he gives out useful information. But you can ignore him the rest of the time. Unfortunately you gotta read his posts before you figure out which is which. :abovelol:
Ain't that the truth. You should be in my mind trying to figure out the BS from the real stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again =)

I'm pretty sure my mileage is around 56,000.

If that warranty really is still good (I was told it only lasted until 50,000 miles back when I bought the car) I'll be very happy indeed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts