Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $3,500 now. I don't really know about forced induction.
what do you guys think?
what should I get... turbo or sc.
Does lowering compression with gasket, is it ok? I mean up to what psi?
thx again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
for ease of install and over all maintance the SC would be alot easier to learn and get installed. For over all gains, and longivity the turbo is good too. This type of thread really sucks becuase it is a never ending argument, on which one everyone perfers. Do a lil reading on the forums from past threads, and make a good descision that way.

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
what are your mods now? automagic or manual?

would you like to be able to let it rip from idle to redline, or would you want a surge of power at 3,000-3500rpm?

IMO, turbo systems take a bit more engineering to make them reliable in high HP setups.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I must be different than the others, there is no doubt in my mind that I would get a turbocharger over the supercharger. You will get the best horsepower per dollars out of it, plus if later on you decide you want more power you can upgrade (i.e. diff intercooler, turbine, upgrade your fuel system, pistones, rods, etc.), with a supercharger the amount of power you will be able to get out of it will platough(misspelled) rather quickly. This is just looking at horsepower per dollars, there are other factors as well. They are both a kit, whichever one you choose I don't think the installation difficulty could vary enough where you would pick one over the other just on that. Just my oppinion, I would go with the turbo kit.
-Matt

·
s/c xd gt
396 Posts
i know alpine has a stage 0 turbo kit that does not have the intercooler which would be about as easy to install as the s/c but the whole thing is the intercooler piping has not been adapted to the engine bay of the elantra on a daily driver yet ( no one has come forward with a solution) turbo involves more tuning to get it just the way you like it... the s/c ( once alpine irons out all the kinks) is more of a bolt on imo...s/c is more of a linear power boost from idle...etc....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Talk to Fixer about the BSE turbos. The Stage 2 will get you appoximately 200 whp, and it is around your price range. The BSE turbo kits are supposedly very user friendly, plug and play you may say. I may be wrong, but I beleive that is what I have been hearing.

·
Mad Scientinst
338 Posts
tharptroy said:
what are your mods now? automagic or manual?

would you like to be able to let it rip from idle to redline, or would you want a surge of power at 3,000-3500rpm?
Sammy - I have the exact same questions as Troy (cause he asks good questions :) )

Horsepower/Dollar. No question, Turbo.
1/4 mile. Again, turbo.
Autocross. Supercharger

With the S/C, your car will "behave" the same as it does now, but just elevated across the board. Like Troy says, with a turbocharged car, there is a lag/surge effect in the mid RPM range.

The S/C requires NO EXHAUST work.

Do you want 200 all the time, or would adding nitrous be an option to you?

Keep in mind (and no offense to Ford) that Ford really hasn't installed the "whole" kit. He is not using the unichip.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Apparently Bill is under the weather right now. He usually posts on our forum, but hasn't been a around for a while. He should be back in action soon. I think Fixer can aslo get in touch with him. Maybe give him a PM or somethin'.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts