1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
bandwith caps are bull****. ill be without internet, before i pay for that sort of bull****.

also, its sad that tokyo, or w/e country they said... has a 100mbps standard speed, compared to our 3-10mb...

oh well...

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
I'll weigh in here. A lot of people seem to ignore/forget that Canada and the US are HUGE. Compared to any of the "better" countries, it'd be like trying to wire up New York. The City. I don't agree with caps, or anything like that. But I am willing to accept mediocrity with maintenance because of the sheer size of the country.

·
xd tunner
1,488 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I'll weigh in here. A lot of people seem to ignore/forget that Canada and the US are HUGE. Compared to any of the "better" countries, it'd be like trying to wire up New York. The City. I don't agree with caps, or anything like that. But I am willing to accept mediocrity with maintenance because of the sheer size of the country.
true!!!

even worst in Canada since we have small population spread around thousands of miles ... quite inefficient!

·
PhD
493 Posts

If that's the reason, midsized or big cities (as you said, New York, LA, Chicago, and others should already have it.) of US/Canada should already have some 100Mbps or faster "standard" internet services with inexpensive 802.11b/g services without any bandwidth caps. We are just being ripped off by companies such as Comcast or AT&T. Anyway, I love the 1Gbps and 100Mbps connections in the office and I hate paying $45/mo for the cable internet (10~20Mbps) with the crappy 250GB/mo limit. I usually download 1080i/p or 720p movie files and they are HUGE: usually 8~10GB per a movie or up to 1GB for a 25min episode. Besides, I watch 720p streaming services frequently (I didn't subscribe any Cable TV or Dish services), which take a lot of bandwidth and my housemate also uses the Internet heavily.

The internet connection in Korea is one thing that makes me feel happy because I'm returning Korea this summer with the XD assuming that the dissertation defense is successful. I'm thinking about getting 100Mbps service (around $25~30/mo) with one static IP and 802.11b service for iPod Touch (around $3~4/mo if it's used only by an iPod. they have APs "literally" everywhere) as soon as get there.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
^ not to burst your bubble nut he's right ... yeah they could do it in big cities, but they would have to cover the big cities of the entire country, and it's not just 3 or 4 cities. It's entirely different when a company have to cover an area 100 times smaller!

Korea has 49 million people on a 38.5k square miles country (compared to the US that have 3 794 066 square miles) ...

The countries that have great internet coverage and speed are small ones in size (not population), it's only logical!

·
Final Fantasy 7=Teh Sex
3,840 Posts
I would like to think that most American companies will do alot for the consumer, but it's not true. Being Americans, we are greedy assholes.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
10,969 Posts
I blame James for watching all that cricket. Hogging all teh bandwithz.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
It would be very painful to you but very lucrative to companies like comcast. They get to charge more for less, the truest desire of all big businesses.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Like Pete said, I would go with out internet before i would give the company the satisfaction of having me as a customer.:mad:

·
That's Mr. Detail to you
728 Posts
Funny that you mention comcast. My job requires troubleshooting for Comcast.(I don't work directly for them.) Sometimes I get as pissed at Comcast as the customers do.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts