Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new amp since mine died recently... I've decided to go EBay since I've heard it's the best place to find car audio stuff for the price and I've had alot of good results from using it. I know exactly what I'm looking for in my amp but there are so many brands out there... I'm wondering if anybody has a rather extensive knowledge on amps(southpawboston seems to be the audio guru in these parts :bowdown: ) Here's a small list of brands that flood EBay and hopefully somebody can shed some light as to whether they are good or not. (I'm only posting the names of companys I've never heard of/dealt with) I loved my MTX and have been very pleased with past Jensen amps that I've installed in my friend's cars so I'm leaning towards them but then again with EBay I'm going to go with the price and not so much the name since I'm just looking for a (probably) temporary amp until I can get some money for a new 12"... I wish I knew how much my sub can take but since it's rather old I can't find any info on it... :(

EBay Amp List:
Legacy
Pyle
Lanzar
Phoenix Gold
Pyramid
Precision Power
Soundstream
Dual
Coustic
MA Audio
Crunch
Soundstorm
Rampage
Lightning Audio

·
Registered
454 Posts
Out of that list I would go with Phoenix Gold. Call me before you get anything and let me know what you are looking for. I might be able to get you a good deal they are getting rid of some amps that they aren't going to carry anymore.

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only requirements are built-in crossover and bridgable to atleast 200W(RMS) @ 4 Ohm. I'm not sure how much my sub can take since there's no way of telling what kind it is, it's a rather old Polk 12" but for the price I paid I don't mind blowing it if 200W RMS is to much for it. I'm going to also be looking into getting a new sub but my current one will do for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Out of those amp brands i would only suggest the MA Audio or the Phoenix Gold, I wouldnt trust the other brands. One of my best friends had a MA Audio amp powering his Kicker 12L7 and he didnt have any problems. And I know a guy who owns a chain of about 5 audio stores and i asked him about the Phoenix Gold when i was doing my stereo and he said they were a very reliable company. I ended up going with Alphasonik and LOVED them, those subs (2 12") and amp SLAMMED. (They're under the same ownership as AudioBahn, i dont know if thats true but thats what he told me) Just wanted to throw my .02 in there :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would get the profile made by california, I just bought mines and iam totally happy with it ( 420 watts RMS, 600 peak) for 75 bucks.....not bad if ask me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Soundstream amps are awesome as long as you avoid any of the newer models since they were bought out. I've used nothing but the original Reference Series amps and they are as good or better than any amps ever made by any company. Period. If you can find archives of any test reports done by Car Audio & Electronics or Car Stereo Review you will find that they were always given nothing but praise.

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thank you all for the advice you've given... I'll keep it all in consideration while shopping but I think I'm going to end up getting together with Evil on this one since if he can get me a deal I'll know it's a deal since I trust him on things like this. (Except for the window tint but we won't get into that :tongue: )

·
Registered
454 Posts
Blah I don't even remember what happened with the window tint. Gimme some specs and I will see what I can do. bridgeable to 200w right? I'll call tomorrow

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
evil247 said:
Out of that list I would go with Phoenix Gold. Call me before you get anything and let me know what you are looking for. I might be able to get you a good deal they are getting rid of some amps that they aren't going to carry anymore.
holy crap thats what i was thinking when i was running through the list...um...you forgot eclipse....they always have good amps for the money! i bought both of mine off ebay....800 watt 32440 85x4...i forget the rest of the specs being as i use it for my components...oh i paid 235 for it...it retails for like 550+

·
Registered
56 Posts
Phoenix Gold all the way. Had one 75x2 channel amp in my last system powering (s) 6.5 inch midbass, (2) 3.5 coaxial and (2) 10 inch subs.

All speakers were MB Quart which I think are the best sounding speakers out there.

I had an older system in which I uses Precision Power and JBL speakers and can't complain about it either.

But I would definitely go with Phoenix Gold. Remember, you don't need tremendous amounts of power in order to sound good. Also, some of these amp have unrealistic power claims.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
dapert said:
Soundstream amps are awesome as long as you avoid any of the newer models since they were bought out. I've used nothing but the original Reference Series amps and they are as good or better than any amps ever made by any company. Period. If you can find archives of any test reports done by Car Audio & Electronics or Car Stereo Review you will find that they were always given nothing but praise.
i'm with you on that dapert. i used to sell and install soundstream amps before they were bought out, and they kicked ass. they never received a less than praising review. they were simply amazing, and under-rated for sure. i kick myself everytime i think about how i got rid my soundstrems amps years ago. i had 6 channels and 500W worth of soundstream amps in my car and that was at 4 oms. they barely got warm.

if you can find a soundstream reference amp on ebay, go for it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Southpaw,

I'm lucky enough to have kept mine. I still have (4) Reference 500, (2) Reference 200s, (1) Reference 160s, and (1) Reference 705. I have 3 vehicles with nothing but Soundstream amps and speakers.

My 85 suburban has (4) SPL160 15's on (2) of the 500's and Soundstream (Vifa) mids and tweeters runing off the 705. Holy crappola is all I can say about that system.

·
*BARK*
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dapert said:
Southpaw,

I'm lucky enough to have kept mine. I still have (4) Reference 500, (2) Reference 200s, (1) Reference 160s, and (1) Reference 705. I have 3 vehicles with nothing but Soundstream amps and speakers.
Wanna sell 1? :deal: :D :tongue:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry RDB they are all in use.

Since you only have the one 12 I would say to go with a Reference 200s or even a Reference 300sx. If you go the Soundstream route make sure you get one with the "s". There original Reference series 200,300,500 have no built in crossovers. And don't get a 160s either for the same reason.

You can get the 200s on eBay anywhere from $50-$75 and a 300sx for around $60-90. I had (2) JL audio 12's in my Suburban for a short time with a Reference 300 running them and it was more than enough bass to rattle the teeth of most civilized human beings. But like many others I guess I'm not that civilized.

Jump up to the $150-$175 range and get yourself a Reference 500s and toss two 12's in your car a make yourself sick to your stomach. Now that's my kind of bass.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
dapert, i had the soundstream components as well (i forgot the model but it had the 5" mid bass and the tweeter and x-over). i had an all-soundstream setup including the TC306 deck (this was before CD was common) and subs (can't remember the model, but it was two 10s). it won an award for SQ. but i decided that soundstream speakers were not ideal for my tastes and i ended up switching to all A/D/S speakers. man, what a difference. between soundstream amps and A/D/S speakers and signal processor (remember the 642 csi?), i had the sweetest sounding system. sadly, all i have left of that system is the two A/D/S 10" subs (they cost $400 a piece back then).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the same 5's and tweets in the Suburban. I believe it's the model SS510 or something similar.

I had an old A/D/S Power Plate amp but never any speakers.

I always liked Soundstream speakers because they were made by Vifa. That's why I chuckle when I mention them alot and people swear by CDT or Nak. What they don't realize is Vifa makes those speakers too so it really doesn't matter what sticker is on the magnet or the cone. Well I guess it does matter in a way because Vifa is making the speaker but the individual companies are doing their own passive networks. I guess there would be a huge difference in the sound of the same speakers if the xovers are not designed right.

A/D/S isn't what they used to be though eh? Aren't they under another one of these big umbrella companies that buys up great companies and turns the equipment into run of the mill crappola? A/D/S used to be in Mass but I think they are in with PPI or Directed and some others now.

Probably not as sad as how Soundstream is now. What a disgrace that one of legendary names has Power Acoustik crap under the lid. Makes me laugh my ass off that people actually buy that junk on eBay and pay twice as much for it as they could get a used original Soundstream for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts