Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK - Now this idea is going to cost some mega $$$ to accomplish - I know this so please don't respond with a post like - better off savin $$$ and just turbo your car
Now with this said here's the idea

I have a 96 WRX Impreza sitting here (mine i own it) that i can not register for various reasons. I was thinking of just selling this and getting some $$$ back but by way everythings going i'd be losing close to 9k on it so i'm better off keeping and looking at other options

What i was thinking is how hard would it REALLY be to bolt drivetrain out of WRX into the XD?
This would make the XD a 4cyl 2.0 turbo 4WD
Now i know there would be some serious floorpan mods like making new tunnel for tailshaft and making all new custom mounts in the rear for the diff etc not to mention engine mounts, gearbox mounts, clearance issues etc etc etc

What i was wondering would it be easier to modify the floorpan of the XD or to graft the XD onto a WRX floorpan?

As i said at start I KNOW this is going to cost some serious $$$ but outcome would be bloody one in a million and sure to win some serious trophies at future car shows
If i can get away for this for around 5-10k then i'll look into VERY seiously
Now that 5-10 is just for labour etc as i have evrything needed to do conversion in the WRX

What you guys reckon?

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
the different measurements (chassis, wheelbase)of the two cars will seriously be a major factor in whether it can be done.

Someone I know took a vette (the body was ruined) and put a tried to put his pontiac grand prix body on it...he couldnt keep the pontiacs body the same!! He had to "chop" and "section" and channel (is that the right word) the grand prix for it to go on the chassis....it still looked like a grand prix...but the dimensions were very altered.

It cost him a lot more than 10K to do it (and he had both cars) and a $hitload of time...so you might want to reconsider.

Maybe others will give you more encouraging words.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK - This has been canned now i have thought about it some more
Pretty much for reason i don't wanna be dubbed - you know that wanker who put the wrx drivetrain into a hyundai

going back to original path again - as stated it was an idea

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yea, except that people would build a shrine out of gold that said "That wanker who put the WRX drivetrain into a Hyundai."

Haha, now, here in Houston it seems noone would notice. People already think I drive a Subaru. >_< I always have to explain it's a Hyundai. It doesn't even LOOK like a Subaru.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
It sounds a little too extreme. Haha, pun on your name.

It would be cool though. It would be interesting to at least find out some of the main clearance issues. You could do some measuring and try to find out if it would be feasible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.