Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
02GT Black
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Canada, how long can a dealership hold your vehicle for repair work before any laws kick-in.. e.g. My car has been at the dealer for over two months now for the "vibrating steering wheel" and some other work. I CALLED the dealer after 5 weeks to see what was up and they couldn't give me the time of day...in fact, they said they were going to "test drive" the car again and get back to me the following day.......that was over three weeks now and my phone hasen't rang??????

Now some of you might know some of my history with this problem but to make it short, my 02 elantra is now on it's 6th set of tires and 5th set of rims and yes, the crazy vibration is still there....It's been in and out of the dealer to many times the keep track of....

Any info or advice would be great

Thanks,
Loopy

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
That seems too long. I have found a few links that may be of interest.

This link is about Car repairs and at the bottom there are some telephone #'s that may be able to answer your question better then we can.

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/5C7PRK.htm

This is a link about Arbitration, I've heard of people using it as a threat when they think the dealership is just not co-operating. I would suggest this as a your last option.

http://camvap.ca/eng/eng_arb.html

I found these links at http://consumerinformation.ca/cgi-bin/main.cgi?Language=E&Session=4971191084077311 and there is a bunch of information I didn't get to read and it covers a lot more then just Automotive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look this might be a completely stupid thought but I am running into kind of the same problem with my car. I can only say what I was told by another individual, Your rotors maybe warped. If the wheels are put on with a torque wrench they can't use more than 60lbs of pressure. If they do it somehow warps your rotors. I have to say when I had the wheels on prior to putting on my new rims the breaks were fine but when I put the new ones on and had them checked out by on of the local shops I think the did the above and screwed my rotors. I just bought new rotors online through ebay, cross-drilled, and hopefully I will not run into this problem again. Again this is just a thought. Hope that helps alittle.

Scott

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Yeah call Hyundai customer service. A salesman i work with had an 02 GLS that was doing the same thing and it never totally went away. It would always vibrate once you got to 60mph. It was weird but yours is only the 2nd 1 I have ever heard of doing this so far. There is absolutely NO excuse for them putting you off that long you are paying fo the car you should be able to drive it. CALL HYUNDAI!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also, you might want to look into whether the dealer will give you a loaner car. My girlfriend's car was in for warranty trunk lid repainting, and we got a loaner car for a week... they'd been finished with the car for a few days, but they forgot to call!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Have you asked to see the car?? If you did, did they let you? Hate to break that to ya, but something might have happened to your car when at the dealership and they can't get it fixed in time. Show up without warning and demand to see the car first off. Hopefully you will find it in good condition. Then DEMAND a loaner car there on the spot. I know my dealership had like a month waiting list for the loaner car but if you complain about your situation they should give you something. That is WAY too long to have your car there - honestly. How often did you call to check in on it? I don't know when a law would kick in, but having the car for that long without an update or resolution to the situation is definetly a problem. You can contact a lawyer for advice and see what they say. Then approach Hyundai with that info. But PLEASE go and see your car first. Hopefully you took the odometer reading before you left it. Check the odo when you see the car and see if they have been using it all this time for a joy ride. Horror stories, I know, but you have to get that car back. Personally, I'd go in and take the car to another dealer, these guys obviously don't know how to deal with the situation. Then write to the head office about them, the situation and how you were treated and cc the dealership - that'll fix their wagon after all is said and done.

·
02GT Black
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

Maybe some info i left out.....yes i have a loner car (brand new 2004 VE) that i've kindly put 5000km on and still counting. A friend of mine drives by the dealer on a regular basis and sees my car, just sitting on the lot. I've tried to make time to call my contact at Hyundai Canada for a few days now but i've been too swamped. Yeah, i did say contact at HC.....as this has been problem has been going on for over 2 years now. I'll try to call him tomorrow and hopefully rip into him and the company.

I let you know what happens??????

Loopy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts