1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2002 GLS
Philips bulbs
Hella Ballasts

I am talking about the shield that you see in front of the low beam bulb when looking into the housing. It's right in the center of the low beam side:

I could just take out the glare shield but then they may have a crazy glare and blind people.

No one?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Wait till Elantra2.001 sees this. He got Catz HID kit and if I remember correctly, he had the same problem but he somehow modified the bulb.

·
HID Master
606 Posts
I actually shimmed my bulb so it wouldnt hit the glare shield...2 washers to be exact.
But thats not really the right way to do it. You can bend the shield downwards..thats what one of the guys did, but I didnt feel like having that part break on me...so..

Jason

·
Registered
108 Posts
say I saw a black elantra with some HID around my way (Northern NJ) and he had in the stock housing with what seemed like no mod and they were excellent! No glare or anything , the light was projected wonderfully downward and spread like it came with them from factory. I wonder if he is here? he had RIMS and what seem like a TV in it too.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
He probably had D2R bulbs. They have some type of cut-off shield built onto the glass for applications in halogen housings. Acuras, Minis, Volvos, Benz, and many more use D2R bulbs for non-projector applications.

·
Registered
108 Posts
bringing this topic back from the dead cause now i own HID's and ran into the same prob. The bulb does hit the shield so i bent it inwards, but the beam output is not acceptable. can someone point me to the right direction for this?

·
Registered
108 Posts
watson80 said:
I just switched bulbs thats all
can you please clarify this for me? what you mean that you just switched the bulb?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're gonna have to retro fit some HID projectors into your headlights if you want a nice cut-off. Or just live with the crappy beam pattern like I do. It still has very nice bright light output. Mine light up the road very much.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I just took my stock bulbs out and put in HID blue bulbs I didnt switch anythiung else and my lights are very blue and alot brighter

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are talkin about REAL hid's. Not halogen bulbs with xenon gas in them and wrapped in blue coating. Although some of those have a nice blue color, they all have crappy light output even compared to regualar halogens. Not to mention they burn out a lot quicker because hardly anyone that uses them does not run the proper headlight wiring harnesses for them to meet the extra wattage that those bulbs run at.

·
HID Master
606 Posts
The real HID bulbs are supposed to last many thousands of hours...I forgot the number of hours exactly, but its pretty damn high!..:)

I have some glare on mine..and its not super focused like projectors, but when I do get some extra money after my holidays, i might go to hidtech to get projectors fitted.

Jason

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
So with most of the H7 retrofit kits out there right now the bulb will be hitting the shield?

How would the D2R bulbs fit in our housing?

·
Registered
108 Posts
well unless the bulbs do come in different sizes, then my honest answer to this would be "yes, they do hit the shield"

I actually fabricated a small "shield" out of aluminum can for the bottom half of the bulb in order to help out with the glare, so far it seems to works, havent gotten flashed not once from no one and even had cops look directly at my headlights and just ignore me.

Your best bet if you do go with the HID route and you dont want to retrofit projectors in there is to take the time to bend straight the stock shield until the bulbs fits without putting pressure on the bulb. took me about 2 hours to get em both right. For those interested, i can take some pics of em on and so forth.

BlackElantraGT said:
So with most of the H7 retrofit kits out there right now the bulb will be hitting the shield?

How would the D2R bulbs fit in our housing?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kspec01 said:
Your best bet if you do go with the HID route and you dont want to retrofit projectors in there is to take the time to bend straight the stock shield until the bulbs fits without putting pressure on the bulb. took me about 2 hours to get em both right. For those interested, i can take some pics of em on and so forth.
Damn, 2 hours? It took me about 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts