Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was going to add a Tiburon amp and subwoofer enclosure to keep my OEM/stock appearing theme...but a newtiburon forum member screwed me out of my money and didnt send me the stuff :mad: ! Does anyone live in NJ and want to beat this guy up?!?! :2gunsfiri

OK, now the questions...I was thinking about going for a 6-speaker system setup...like the factory 2004 GT system.
*How hard would it be to hook up an aftermarket amp to the factory speaker wires?
*Can the factory wiring handle extra power?
*Should the tweeters (which I will have to add) be amplified as long as the crossover is hooked up to them?
*Do component speakers need to be amplified to perform well or properly?

Thanks to all who will reply!

Now to make holes in the door plastic or get the GT door panel pieces for the systems with component tweeters!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
first of all, the '01-'03 GTs have the same six-speaker setup as the '04s, just the head unit was not as nice as the one in the '04 GT.

second, yes, some amps have inputs for speaker level input, and if the amp doesnt, you can use line-level converters to drop the voltage through tht speaker wires to be re-amplified by the amp. it's generally not recommended though, since you're doubly amping the signal, and there is a degradation of sound quality.

the factory speaker wires are good for at least 100W/speaker.

the tweeters and woofer should be hooked up to the crossover, and the amp provides power into the crossover, so the amp signal gets split by the crossover to the tweeter and the woofer.

some component speakers need more power to sound good then typical low power speakers. this is what's referred to as efficiency. some speakers designed to handle really high power have to sacrifice efficiency. any speaker with 90db sensitivity or greater is considered generally efficient.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I would only need a 4 channel amp right? Since the crossover sends the signal/power to the tweeters and the mids, I could use the other two channels for the rear speakers?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
yep, that's right. also just so you're not confused, we're talking about passive crossovers, which split the signal to the tweeter/woofer AFTER it comes out of the amp.

don't get confused with signal-level crossovers, which some amps have (also called pre-amp crossovers or active crossovers). this is where the circuitry in the amp (or signal processor, before the amp) sorts the frequencies before amping. then you need a dedicated amp channel for each tweeter, each woofer, etc.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
i amped my door speakers...but then i replaced them....they sound better amped then just running off the headunit..i pushed 85 watts through them :biggrin:

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silverbullet, I am going to put aftermarkets, but I wanted to get the headache of the amp/wiring figured out properly first.

Amping the factory paper speakers would suck for sound quality...I know that :frown:

This would be my first experience with a component install....just wanna be careful

Thanks southpaw...i will let you know what I end up getting....looks like the polk/momo line at the moment....though I might go infinity/kenwood

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well...seems someone is wondering the samething.....but one thing I can't seem to find is what is the RMS for the stck speakers for an 01 GLS...I'm probally gonna go with a kenwood 8401..found a website that sells 'em for $160 @65 watts RMS x4 anyone think its a lil too much for the speakers or can the handle it....wife thinks they can.....but I picked out the speakers for replacement....just in case shes' wrong.. :fiddle:

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
As for RMS power for the GLS, they are 20W, peak of 40W. Trust me, when you hook up 25W RMS with peak at 45W, they will make some pretty nasty noises! That's why I replaced all of mine with 3-way pioneers. Sounds 300% better!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks man......Looks like I'm gonna have to get speakers first then the amp....but thats the amp I'm gettin...not sure about subs yet...thinkin about one 10"... :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts