Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in the hot desert of Phoenix we need to run our a/c all the time. Everytime i get in the car and run the a/c after it's been sitting thru the night or thru work i turn the a/c on and it smells like royal ass then goes away. What the hell could the smell be and does anyone else have this same problem? Btw..the a/c runs perfectly fine and blows colder then hell. Thanks for yer time.

Nate
2k3 Elantra GLS

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That smell is actually mold on the evaporator. The way to cure this is to run the a/c on the normal setting ( not max or recirculate). When the a/c is on recirc. all of the time, moisture builds up in there, and turns to moldy crap. You could also go to the dealer and they will spray some stuff in there to kill the mold, but it will come back. I had this problem and started running only on outside air, and it went away. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Another thing that seems to have helped: When you're going to turn off the car, turn off the air and turn the fan up to high for a few seconds. Blow any moisture out of the ductwork. Then turn off the car.

·
The Girl
2,894 Posts
I live in Florida and that happens sometimes b/c of the moisture in the air. It doesn't smell like ass, but it does smell similar to mold
. I agree w/hyunelan2, turn the fan on for a little to dry it out.
.....Or you could get another air freshener

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Well You guys have covered all the bases so the only thing left for me to do is agree with all of that!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I've noticed it lately too.....I'll try those tips though. I noticed I get that when the A/C hasn't be run for a long time - i.e. all of winter.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
yeah i get this all the time. it does seem to helpsomewhat if i blow non-a/c air through the system before switching the car off, as hyunelan mentioned.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
mine never got too stanky but i run the fan alot without the air on and turn it off b4 i turn the car off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts