Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the bulbs able to come out? Seems like they are stuck in there. I want to change them to red leds but i am not sure if i want cut the wire and do it that way. Maybe ill break the bulbs out or something and jam them in there heh :tongue:

Oh i changed the dimmer switch to an led, its pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
yeah tried takin these out as they are blown but cant seem to get them out and dont want to try too hard to pull because im afraid ill break them . . help?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Take off the dash to get to them. They 'screw' in from behind. They are 74 bulbs. Easiest suggestion is to get some 74 bulb LEDs from http://autolumination.com/74.htm It's nice, mine are Blue

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
no i mean . . . take them out of their sockets . . . come on now . . . ive taken my dash out 74HUNDRED times lol

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Oh, they're normal incandescent automotive bulbs. Just pull.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i dont think you can pull those bulbs out from the ashtray or lighter, gotta cut the wire and tie in some new bulbs and stuff. I'll post a pic of my dimmer switch when it gets a little darker :)

edit: useless camera, insanely blurry :mad:

·
Registered
384 Posts
billydog said:
i dont think you can pull those bulbs out from the ashtray or lighter, gotta cut the wire and tie in some new bulbs and stuff. I'll post a pic of my dimmer switch when it gets a little darker :)

edit: useless camera, insanely blurry :mad:
No, many of us have done them - the socket is a twist and pull and the bulbs are size 74 incandescent. Pull them straight out of the socket.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sometimes it helps to use one of those sheets of rubber that you use to open a jar to grab the bulb. Then you don't have to worry about squeezing so hard to compensate for the oils in your fingers (which make it slippery).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Um, ive changed both to Leds-- they do pull out of the sockets- just takes some encouragement. The automatic trans shifter bulb was the most difficult to pull from the socket... think it may have been glued- oh, i had to ask myself, after having done this, what difference does the color of light in the ashtray make? how many ppl actually even open it?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Sometimes I open mine just to make sure the bulb is still working... that's about the only reason - lol.

·
Registered
384 Posts
LowElantra said:
what difference does the color of light in the ashtray make? how many ppl actually even open it?
I see your point completely, but I have an aux input cable for my ipod coming out of the ashtray. I've routed it so it's still accessible with the ashtray door closed, but it's still open a crack, so it looks closed in the daytime, but it's open just enough so the red light shines through the crack around the ashtray....it looks pretty cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts