Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm Ahmed.

I got my 03 Elantra GT (4dr) back in July of 2010. I really love my car and I want to baby it! But unfortunately, I dragged my feet about getting anything done on it (washing/waxing, oil, etc) while it was warm out, so now I have to work in the cold :/

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew where's a good place to start when it comes to car maintenance for newbies. I really want this thing to run to the complete best of it's ability, and I'm more than willing to put in the elbow grease to get it done! I just don't know anything about cars... and I don't want to **** anything up xD

Any feedback would be really appreciated! Glad to be amongst Elantra enthusiasts :D

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
You could pick up a repair manual which will help you understand a few things, and are useful when you decide to work on the car.

As for maintainance, some things to consider:

- Timing belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump. The first word gives me chills, and I had nightmares of one snapping and destroying all 16 valves. If it hasn't been changed in the last few years of 60,000 or so miles, I would get that done. This is a job that if you don't know how to do it, take it to the dealer.

- Fluids. Stay on top of oil changes. You can do a rad flush, get her new coolant. Check the power steering fluid levels, brake fluid levels. Check the tranny fluid level, maybe take it in and get the fluid changed if it looks bad.

- Check wheel bearings

- Check tie rods, CV boots for cracks, balljoints

- Check brakes, replace if needed, check brake lines and fuel lines for corrosion

- Check for any fluid leaks

- Check to make sure all bulbs work

- Do a compression test

- Do a tune-up with new plugs and wires

Etc, little things like that all add up and you'll be surprised how well and reliable your car will run if you take care of her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts