Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Back for more
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in doing this to my car. I know it's not something for the faint of heart, but I am not faint of heart. I have done numerous engine swaps in SR20DE powered Nissans over the years and probably 30+ clutch jobs in various FWD cars so I'm up to the task. Has anyone done this? I've noticed on Ebay auto trannies for our cars are VERY cheap, on the order of $150 from a search I just did. I assume manuals would be just as cheap. I know I would need a flywheel and clutch, cables or rods depending on which shifting style the Elantra uses, the shifter and the interior pieces, probably main and/or transmission ECU changes, and wiring. Basically if it's doable without cutting and splicing wires and is just a few hundred dollars in parts, it would be worth it to me. I would appreciate comments by anyone who has done this.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
i don't know of anyone whos done it... but nice looking car same color as mine ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
paki said:
a little searching goes a long way..

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11230&highlight=manual

gives you a list of things you will need to do a manual swap. Not worth it.

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showpost.php?p=131227&postcount=22
I agree nice looking car. Search it does go along way. Well to summerise the conclusion to all the thread about this topic.

Not worth it (No performance gains)
To expensive (cheaper to just buy a manual elantra.)
Never done before.
Custom Work (which goes with expense)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I DON'T SEE WHY YOU WANT TO SWAP THE AUTO TO THE 5 SPEED...IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO TRADE IN THE AUTO FOR THE 5 SPEED...MY 5 SPEED IS CHEAPER...IF ANYTHING I WOULD SWAP ANOUTHA MOTOR FROM ANOTHER CAR ( WITCH SHOULD BE AUTO ) FOR ALL THAT TROUBLE...IT'S A WASTE OF TIME AND TOO MUCH WORK FOR NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. iT WOULD BE ALOT SMARTER TO JUST GET THE 5 SPEED...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've done the swap took me 2 days only cost about 300 used tranny new clutch and used fly wheel made linkage out of Sunfire linkage it's not hard at all no cutting everything almost volts up you just need the different tranny mount no one here has ever done an auto to manual swap obviously I buy plenty of auto cars for about 2-300 with blown tenants and convert them since the standerd tranny is cheaper

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can u possibly message me with everything if need to do so I'm looking to swap my automatic to manual to upgrade the trans and turbo it out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts