Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Back to Stock Airbox !!! SLOOOWWW....

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  FordFasteRR 
#1 ·
I removed the short ram and replaced it with the stock airbox using a stock filter and a modified intake elbow... I removed the small resonator box that is built-into the stock elbow and i plugged the nitrous fogger hole (that used to be there) using some epoxy to prevent a vacuum leak.... Overall the performance is the same as before except that there seems to be more low - mid range torque but no real improvement in overall power output vs the stock ported intake manifold... F_cking Kspec Air Ram Intake manifold sucks NUTZZZZZ.

See less See more
#5 ·
watson80 said:
the IM looks good sorry thats all it does!
Yeah tell me about it ! HEHEHE

I plan to modify the stock airbox later this afternoon.. I think I wil cut the opening on the bottom of the airbox to a larger size...

basically I just want to let the stock airbox breathe a little better... right now, the opening looks like a triangle shape... its very restrictive looking...

I dont have the resonator or the connector pipe attached to the bottom of the aribox... its just opened up facing the hole in the fender where it gets a little fresh air from .. I suppose the best setup for the stock airbox would be to fabricate a pipe that will allow cold air to go from the fender hole into the airbox.. but not using the stock connector pipe that is badly crush-bent...

we'll see what I can come up with... my point is that I will soon rid myself of this kspec intake and replace it with another ported stock intake manifold... i want the engine bay to look as stock as possible just in case i have any engine trouble or something... i dont want the dealer to say anything about the mods...

all the time i'll have a fully ported intake manifold and an evo fusion BBTB... plus a custom modified cold air intake hooked to the stock airbox... :)

maybe i'll buy a K&N panel filter for kicks ! hahaha

#7 · (Edited)
jameswing said:
Why did you go back to the stock airbox?

-----Edit-----

We posted at the same time, I understand now.

I thought having a intake on didn't cause a prob with them.

the problem is that this thing is designed to flow properly at like 8000 rpms...

otherwise, you loose all the low and midrange torque... without a turbo or nitrous or super built up engine and a modified ecu that will let you rev higher than stock its basically useless...

#9 ·
slvr. i'm not sure what he did to his last intake but it works. i put it on yesterday and it makes a difference. i noticed a good jump from 0-60. the higher end speeds i didn't notice a difference but i need to tune my but dyno.

#10 ·
vabeach_03 said:
slvr. i'm not sure what he did to his last intake but it works. i put it on yesterday and it makes a difference. i noticed a good jump from 0-60. the higher end speeds i didn't notice a difference but i need to tune my but dyno.

thats right.. i have 0-60 below 7 seconds using a stock ported intake manifold and stock TB with a 3 inch CAI + 1.7L elantra 4-2-1 header + 2 1/4 cat-back.

:)

#12 ·
Here is an update on the driving impression after swapping back to the stock airbox...

The midrange torque is improved... not increased... just flattened out more...

also, the power spike is not noticable and it takes longer to reach redline now...

I suppose its because it has increase the air velocity to the ports because of the slight restriction in the opening on the stock airbox...

I like it better than before... but I miss the top end scream... Either way I cant wait to get rid of this Crapifold.

#13 ·
Well I've got the Evo BBTB CAI Evo 4-2-1 Evo cat-back and no idea how fast to sixty. I can do it at the top of second gear all day and all night just don't know how fast it is. My butt dyno sez pretty damn quick though...

#14 ·
slvrsleeper said:
Well I've got the Evo BBTB CAI Evo 4-2-1 Evo cat-back and no idea how fast to sixty. I can do it at the top of second gear all day and all night just don't know how fast it is. My butt dyno sez pretty damn quick though...
cool..

you can reach 60+ mph in 2nd gear...

A stock elantra 5 speed goes 0-60 in approx 8.xx seconds with a hard launch..

moving into the 7's is easy with simple bolt-ons..

moving into the 6's requires some light suspension mods + driving skills.

#18 · (Edited)
Turbo is probably the most cost effective way to get into the fives, nitrous will do it but the potential side-effects are costly. My car always required a shift into third to reach sixty stock, regardless of how hard I launched. With mods I have to get out of it going into fourth or I'm going "arrest me" fast. Scot and I did a little impromptu drag racing down 17 last weekend and I saw 105 in fourth gear, not to shabby for a bunch of bolt ons..... edit:I in no way endorse or support street racing just scientific testing LOL

#19 · (Edited)
slvrsleeper said:
Turbo is probably the most cost effective way to get into the fives, nitrous will do it but the potential side-effects are costly. My car always required a shift into third to reach sixty stock, regardless of how hard I launched. With mods I have to get out of it going into fourth or I'm going "arrest me" fast. Scot and I did a little impromptu drag racing down 17 last weekend and I saw 105 in fourth gear, not to shabby for a bunch of bolt ons..... edit:I in no way endorse or support street racing just scientific testing LOL

darn it.. i had a run in with another spec v sentra... this one tail gated me all the way to top of 4th gear.. it was over 110 mph.... he had no problem keeping up with me easily...

darnit...

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.