Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2005 Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the people that know me let me tell you I got a rotten egg of an elantra. I currently have 114,000 miles on my elantra. Ive had it since 3.5 miles. It has been my baby and I have put blood, sweat, and tears into this car. Ive never had a car get me so upset though. Not even my 92 legacy with 187k on it. 1st week I have it speed sensor goes out, after two months I shammy out the door jams, and find bright red paint on my shammy. Guess who forgot to shoot Clearcoat from the factory agains the whole driver's side...Hyundai. I got flashbacks of the end of the movie "Gung-Ho". I had a pin in the spider gears snap and shoot a softball size whole through my transmission case. On top of that I have replaced the radiator not once but twice now. The seal on the second one broke. Cheap plactic end tanks. Oh and the kicker. The thrust bearing went out. Which my buddy who is the master tech over at my local hyundai dealership. Was shocked to say that he is surprised that I didnt punch out the main bearing and spew oil everywhere. So that being said I had a new short block put in. That was when the car was 6k out of warranty. Lucky for me he pulled some strings so I just had to pay for the labor, I went ahead and had him change the hoses out also. $1200 for a new engine with a new crank, rods, and pistons. Not bad. But hell what was I suppose to do. Say screw it Ill go find a car for $1200 dollars. I just have never had to dump money into maintenance like this on a car. Transmission cost me $3200 because the car had a intake and exhaust and was lowered. I got my dad involved, but even Hyundai USA didnt help us out. The Moss Act was even thrown at them. They were quick to blow us off. This happen when I was in college. So my father had to fork out the funds. So figuring in the new transmission cost, the radiator cost, and short block. What happened to my regular schedule maintenance. Like oil changes, filters of all kinds and flushes. I mean ****!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
That sucks you've had those problems. All I can say is results not typical. My 2002 was awesome to me. I dont think I ever had a problem that wasn't my fault. Do you drive hard, or is your area exceptionally hilly?

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
my area is uber exceptionally hilly, full of pot holes and terrible roads, lots of brick or cobblestone roads and other crap. PA roads SUCK. i also go through brakes faster than anyone i know though. which i guess means i drive hard too. im on year 5 and all ive had to do is basic mantenance and the 30k service. only real complaint mantenance side is that it seems like the alignment is thrown out easier than my last couple cars. so i end up driving with it off center here and there cause i just get tired of getting it aligned every x months.

it really sucks your exp has been so ****ty. even in harsh conditions ive had pretty good luck.
that truely is lametoast with a side of weaksauce

only similar story i have is my buddy of mine was running hot, had his head gasket go. from there it was a radiator, then a cylander actually popped and had to be remanufacturerd. his is an 03. after having the remanufactuer and rebore his fuel economy is down about 4mpg and he lost a little pep in the low gears. he too, is not super happy

·
2005 Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I live in Tennessee where the roads are not to bad we have some of the better roads in the nation. I honestly think that my car was a rushed car off of the assembly line. Like one of the last ones to get on the boat. I baby this car. I have replaced parts that even show a little wear and tear like door seals and bolts. Youll see when I run for June COTM that its a site for the eye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts