Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

This is basically a mod. This post may not belong here. I o'ready have the ground wiring mod. But I want to replace my negative and positive battery cables with 1.0 gauge cables. The stock cables are 4 gauge. I was looking at the negative cable and it runs into a wiring harness. I am unsure about the positive cable. I have a custom battery ternimal that can hold the bigger negative cables and my ground cables.

Has anyone ever replaced the battery cables?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I was also curious about this. I was following the ground cable and yeah it curves around then goes into a harness then who knows from there. If someone was to want to swap out the battery cable, how for down do you have to tear the harness appart to get to where its connected? How is it connected exactly?

·
Class Out The ***
1,494 Posts
damn this was an old topic... haha

it would be an interesting mod... i don't know. if i were to attempt this, i would buy alot of plastic tubing to put back around the wries. good luck with this.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
it's called the "big three" upgrade-- battery ground cable + alternator and starter power cables. it's a nice mod if you can do it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The negative battery cable raps under the the battery tray and make contact with the car... only easy way to get to it is to take the battery out unless your handy and can get to it.... I upgraded the negative battery terminal after I broke the stock one.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
The negative battery cable ends under the battery tray. The positive cable goes to the starter and then another wire goes to the junction box. From there, the wiring to the alternator and other components are at.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Really? I followed the negative battery wire, curved down towards the transmittion and the block then joined up with a bunch of other wires in the plastic tubing with tape around it, then this fat cable curves around the engine and I have no idea where it leads...

·
circuit track whore
3,820 Posts
warning about upgrading the "big 3". DO NOT use 1/0 gauge wiring. from equss on eclub (he works on the inside for hyundai), he said doing a big 3 upgrade with 1/0 ga wire WILL damage the ecu. i dont remember the details about it tho. go there and dop a search about the "big 3". and i dont beleive the battery power and ground wires are 4 ga either. i have a 4 ga ground kit, i also have a big 3 done in 4ga too. when i removed the power and ground wires, it looked more like 6ga and 8 ga wiring.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I tried looking for that info but didn't have much luck. I don't see how thats possible for thr ecu to get damaged though, seems like it either has to be a myth, or whoever was doing the testing incorrectly wired his stuff up. What does the big 3 stand for anyways?

·
circuit track whore
3,820 Posts
Mahonroy said:
I tried looking for that info but didn't have much luck. I don't see how thats possible for thr ecu to get damaged though, seems like it either has to be a myth, or whoever was doing the testing incorrectly wired his stuff up. What does the big 3 stand for anyways?
when an experienced insider from hyundai that helps us on on the forums says NOT to use 1/0 ga wiring to do a big 3 upgrade, i listen to them. now if it was from a newbie or something like that, then i tend not to beleive them. TRUST me, go to eclub, send eqquss a pm and ask him yourself. or go there and do a search. im sure cclgnthrr (colin) will also back me up on this statement as it is true.
dave

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
2loud2k2xd said:
when an experienced insider from hyundai that helps us on on the forums says NOT to use 1/0 ga wiring to do a big 3 upgrade, i listen to them. now if it was from a newbie or something like that, then i tend not to beleive them. TRUST me, go to eclub, send eqquss a pm and ask him yourself. or go there and do a search. im sure cclgnthrr (colin) will also back me up on this statement as it is true.
dave
What it will do is put too much power into the electronics too quickly and can fry them. They are designed with the 4 gauge wiring (batt cables) in mind; by having the resistance there is a form of a regulated power supply.

If I were upgrading the wiring, I might go with a 2 gauge battery cable and not mess with the other cables.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts