Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to get a new battery for my 2002 Elantra. I went to Autozone and bought a duralast and the guy there could not figure put for the life of him how to remove the positive posts (or whatever its called) from the battery to remove it and put the new one in. I decided to screw it and went home and had my dad look at it (car junkie) and HE couldnt figure it out. The copper thing holding it onto the battery is kinda rusted and has some corrosion on it and is in pretty bad shape. I just need to figure out how to get this old battery out from this Korean contraption. HELP ME!
Thanks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
1 more reason not to go to Autozone.

Go to an audio shop and get a good terminal, or a decent auto parts store and get a cheap one. Cut the wires off right at the end of the terminal (want to keep as much wire as possible) and leave it on the old battery. Install the wires on new terminal on the new battery, and this time use the oiled felt pads and anti-corrosion spray. Problem solved..

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
10mm socket, loosen the nut on the post. Its not that hard.:rolleyes:
That's kinda what I was thinking. IDK your post confuses me. I have replaced my battery.....if the nut has corrosion, spray something on it to loosen it up. If im not getting the issue or problem then please forgive me. But, you should be able to loosen the 10mm nut on the neg. and pos. side. loosen the battery "tie down" bolt. and that's it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Should be. Should.

That does not take into account when you didn't do proper PM on the battery connections, and the whole thing is a solid mass of corrosion. I have seen them get so bad you can't tell which way is what... sometimes you really CAN'T get them off. Worpster92 if you post a picture I am thinking some light bulbs will go off.

That said, if you really want to have a go at it, take a pick/scribe/pointy thing and dig away as much of the mess as you can, then use a vise grip pliers or a channel-lock that you can squeeze hard, and put the hurt on the nut. Grip the nut hard enough to deform it with the teeth of your tool if required, as it can always be replaced AFTER your car is up and running with the new battery. Spraying with penetrating oil wouldn't hurt, either. Good luck

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I am suprised Autozne Installs. To much of a Liability these days. I like the terminal design. The nut sits right on top of the nut.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks everyone. I just had to get some new terminals cuz they were SHOT. Rust, corrosion, you name it it was MESSED UP. I got a duralast battery from autozone and went to my brother in law and had him install everything. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Cool! Glad it all got figured out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I was hoping to find the trick how to put the positive cap back on....I am really missing something here.

not sure if I should start a new thread, will try this post (haha) first
There is the set of wires for positive with a cap instead of regular clamp and it seems loose, do I hammer it in with a rubber hammer or squeeze the cap to the post?? GAH!!

k, I have a friend coming over to see what the heck I am talking about. I will take a picture too and upload it if he doesn't get it either.

*after my dear friend helped me out*
OK!! The cap has TWO pieces to it and half of it was still on the old battery........... :headshake

Now I am back on the road!! :drive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts