Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just back from my 1st AutoX event

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEventDetail.Show?psevent_id=1676&psrnd=.17251036696202160375450820639344202992

Not far from Chi town, Ohio, Indiana. Come on up!!!

EDIT:

That's where I went

Well, I'm back and I placed 5th in my classification. This was an SCCA event so I was in the STS (street touring) class. This is a very competative class. Everyone I raced against had wicked front camber setting and sticky dedicated tires and lots of experience.

5th place doesn't sound so bad until you realize that there were only 5 in my class. We all had 5 runs. My first 3 runs were DNF's (did not finish) cuz I ran off the course. Contribute this to not ever having run a autox event before in a front wheel drive car (inexperience), testosterone (putting my foot init too much), crappy tires (Kumho KH11's suck with my chassis setup now), and really good other drivers. bet time in a Dodge neon was 40.124 and the best time in EM (extreme modified) was 39.621. So you can see that low horse power and the right chassis setup can yield almost as fast of times.

My 4th run was 47.345 with 2 cones at 2 seconds per and my 5th run was 47.627 with no cones. I know i could shave another 2, maybe 3 seconds off that time but that is not going to get me to place. The Kumhos were not up to the task. They felt like they had a layer of oil on them. i was at the ragged edge of the tires which was not near the ragged adge of the chassis. So when these wear out (won't be long if i autox twice a month and drag once a month) i talked with some guys who say the Falken Azenis are better than the Kumho MX. Any thoughts?

I had a blast and will be going up to Grand Valley State on July 3rd for my next race. It is very north in MI (about 2.5 hrs north of me)

Anyone know whether you can set camber settings on front wheels without an alignment each time, say with stops?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Those are respectable results! Everything gets better with practice. The Falkens are awesome tires, I've never had the MX's, so I can't make a comparison, but I can tell you that I was never able to break into understeer using the Falkens on my Accent, just stay away from water, they don't get along.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts