Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my R34 kit and am anxious to get it painted and installed. For those of you that have this body kit or any other body kit, i was wondering how much you paid to get it painted. I also have a grille and a spoiler i will get painted with the kit so how much would it be altogether.

thanks for the help

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I paid my guy $1050 for full kit paint and install. He hooked me up good I think. His work is impecable and he always cuts me a break cause I pay him cash. He sanded and fitted everything by hand, multiple coats of primer.....he is the best!

·
Registered
212 Posts
how feasable is it to paint the kit yourself? you can get the paint exact matches at paintscratch.com in spray cans, if you sanded cleaned and followed all the layer steps how would it come out, i am warry of spending a grand on install and paint since i have heard of so many people easily installing this kit themself and painting sounds like a joke to me, just time consuming for prep. I am somewhat experienced with paint as i used to do graffiti for about 7 years..,..

·
Registered
212 Posts
painters use sprayers to paint cars, just different types, trust me, the only difference between a professional sprayer and a spray can is the tip it uses (that and one can hold much more paint obviously). using a spray can i can cut CLEAN and with the right caps for the can spray lines as thin as the tip of a ball point pen. it won't look "sprayed" anyway, as it's one solid color. :)

Edit:

put multiple coats on there and no matter what you use to spray it's going to look solid.

i think i am going to do it. i mean worst case i spend 120 bucks or so on paint primer and clear coat and it doesn't come out that great (note r34 is also white unpainted and so is my car, plus 1 for me :)) i lose that 120... but if it does work, i save 900... i think it's worth a try :) when i do it towards the end of the summer i'll do a diy with a warning and then post follow up pics after some driving abuse and weather.

Also i think why most garages that do easy work like oil changes tune ups and filter changes and crap like that are in business because 95% of the people out there are too scared of getting under the hood. Places like best buy can charge 50 bucks to install your cd player because those same people are too scared to tear apart their dash when all of us know it's a complete joke to do. I believe paint flat colors is the same, it should be very easy, just time consuming. Custom work is a whole nother subject altogether... that requires some sick skills.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
its gonna look like hell.....do it right the first time. Did you ever hear the saying there is never enough time to do something right but always enough time to do it again? You dont want your car lookin all ghetto with a spray bomb job!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
(nerd alert) I sanded, primered, painted and clearcoated my spare computer case, and because I was patient, it looks stupidly good. It glimmered with automotive-finish quality in the sunlight.

It's running quietly in the closet now, where there's no real light to show off how smooth my paint job is.

If you want to paint it yourself... it's going to take a lot of time, and even more patience. If you've never really spray painted something before, there are plenty of really good how-tos on both Auto sites and on Computer Modding sites (I'm not kidding!) Before you go screwing up how your car looks, try a pet project like, say, a computer case. Or even something bigger. If you don't have the patience to do that right, then you're better off paying someone else to do it right.

With the computer case, I just used the spray cans as-is, but I think you can get nice handles that attach to spraypaint cans that make using them more of a squeeze thing than a push-the-nozzle-down thing.

·
Registered
212 Posts
as previously stated i have 7 years of graffiti experience, i'm a guru at painting large scale lettering and characters.

it won't look "home bombed" as you say because i won't be using krylon, i'll be using car paint, made specifically for cars.

the crappy look you see is usually a few coats of krylon flat black spray paint, no primer, no clear...

i'll be washing the body kit and then sanding any imperfections off with 400 gritt sand paper. next i'll apply a greese and wax remover to further cleanse the surface after sanding. the kit will be masked with painter's tape for a custom design. 2 to 3 layers of primer will be applied with about 6 - 8 hours in between for drying. 2 to 3 layers of base color will be applied with about 6 - 8 hours in between for drying. 2 to 3 layers of clear-coat will be applied with about 6 - 8 hours in between for drying.

also note i'll be painting the kit by itself, not my entire car, if i mess up, worst case i re-sand it and start back at square 1. painting cars is extremely easy, just time consuming. i have heard from more than one painter that the job is 95% prep and 5% execution (for basic colors).

edit: removed some foul language...

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
I work for a company that makes coatings for food cans. Another division makes automotive refinish paints. I talk to guys in that division occasionally and have discussed this very topic with them.

Proper surface prep/primer/paint for the type of plastic the kit is made from is essential if you want your paint job to last. The key elements of the coatings you use for plastic parts are adhesion, flexibility and impact resistance. I'm sure you've seen cars driving around that have paint flaking off of their bumpers; usually they were repainted incorrectly, and most times they were done wrong by a cheap body shop.

There's an excellent article about this very topic here: http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=36273

Be careful with how you paint your kit and it can look as good as a good body shop job. If you do go to a body shop, just make sure they know how to paint plastic parts properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
......... people are just trying to :help: you thats all ... if you are going to do this then good luck .and :pics2: please

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
if you do it and it turns out good I will gladly eat my words but graffiti and cars is alot different

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
I have done bodywork and painted cars and would have to say I tried the automotive spraycan thing :( ....IT WILL NOT COME OUT LIKE YOU HOPE!!!

To do it right, you need a spray booth, an air compressor, a HVLP spray gun and a quality polisher. :cool:

I speak from multiple experiences....air gun is the only way for a durable and proper paintjob...and the polisher/sander is needed to get the paint to shine after the colorsanding!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The cost of painting your bodykit can have quite the range. The reason this exists is because of the quality of the kit. If you are talking paint alone....then obviously the cost of the paint will only exist....however, if you are talking about taking your car to a shop, having them install your kit and paint the kit, or the whole car, the cost goes up considerably. I have found that if you pay a bigger amount of money up front for a kit, it is usually better quality and you will have less of an expense when the time comes for the shop to fit it due to labour costs. Labour and installation is where the higher costs comes into effect....the better the kit fits, the less money you will need to fork out. Also, keep in mind that the paint will need to be baked if you do consider to go ahead and paint the kit yourself. I'm not about to doubt any abilities, but having the paint bake is better than just having it sit there and dry. If you would like to paint it yourself, consider using a Rent-a-Booth...you can take your car in when you are ready, paint and bake (some of these places might not have a baking facility though). Best of luck and let us see how it turns out!

Whoops, forgot something.....don't forget, if you want to paint your kit the same color as your car, take paint fade into account.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
the guy that did mine sanded and primered for about 2 whole days before painting just to get it perfect. The kit I had was pretty good quality too! Somethings just arent worth it cause if you try and mess it up they will charge you more to fix your mistake!

·
Other options seeker
693 Posts
I have to totally disagree with the "pro" job. You can do just as good as the pros if you take your time (see below). I did...

sorry about the size....

watson80 said:
if you do it and it turns out good I will gladly eat my words but graffiti and cars is alot different

What flavor would you like? Pewter (mine) or Blue (yours) LOL

Humor meant here of course.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts