Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought some new wires today (as suggested in my CEL thread) and tonight I was going to put them in. Well, I took off the big engine cover no problem and started on the smaller one (the silver piece). Turns out that the t on the far right isn't coming out. All 9 other screws came out no problem. This is the first time I've done this (although I'm sure the dealer has before, especially if they've replaced the spark plugs like they say they have).

So, the bolt will turn but it won't come out and it feels like it's just turning around and around and makes a sort of "grinding" noise I guess. I tried a pair of needle nose pliers to turn it and pull up at the same time but no luck.

Interesting part was that there was a CEL all day today, but after I messed with the cover a bit it's off now.

I know there are like 2548 bolt threads, but I didn't know if anyone had this particular problem with the ones for the engine cover.

Thanks in advance.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
just get a bolt extractor bit set from your local hardware store
and how praytell will that cause the metal threads in the plastic cover suddenly work again?

super, you're going to have to rip it out. it's already spinning

·
Ninja Super Mod
17,346 Posts

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
you're missing the problem. the bolt locked to the metal threads in the PLASTIC valve cover. the bolt isnt stripped. the threads and bolt are spinning as one. there is nothing you can do to re-secure the metal threads into the PLASTIC cover again if you get them apart. if you use a bolt extractor, the metal threads+bolt will just spin as one, but backwards in the PLASTIC valve cover, doing absolutely nothing.

Solution to problem: force it out by hand and replace

·
íтş śтíłļ ά нұύиđåι...
1,092 Posts

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts

·
íтş śтíłļ ά нұύиđåι...
1,092 Posts
james if i didnt just sell my car yesterday i would tell u to just pull it, and if u broke it i would send u my valve cover that was just put on there, but im sorry i dont have it n e more. i want to see the outcome of this one, and see how i could of possibly saved myself $300

felix, u know i had to throw my 2 cents in lol

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
Depending on what style of valve cover you have, I have on sitting here that I could give you for $20 if you break it. I just need to put the baffle back in it.

·
íтş śтíłļ ά нұύиđåι...
1,092 Posts
james, yes that is the valve cover with that hole in it. i pulled up on the silver piece when it wouldnt come out, and it snapped and pulled the bolt out with all the plastic that surrounded it.

and yes, the valve cover cost $300 brand new, with a new gasket.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
You are talking about the big black plastic dust shield that covers the value cover and wires right? Is that a picture of yours? Or what you are trying to prevent from happening?

You said the dealer has taken this off before so that leads me to believe they crossed the threads causing the bolt to be stuck in there, which required more torque to remove the bolt causing the plastic holding the threaded insert to give allowing it to spin.

If the entire thing is spinning then it's not likely that the bolt will stay still for you to drill it out. Worth a desperate try though.

Sounds like the threaded insert on the value cover is spinning in the plastic. Ain't going to be able to hold that with needle nose pliers.

I suggest cutting the dust cover on the inside of the recessed hole. You can get a dremel in there, if the cutting wheel is to big use a worn out one or wear it out till it will fit.

If it is the threaded insert spinning then your not going to be able to get a bolt in there without replacing the value cover anyway, so cutting the dust shield is not going to worsen the situation. Ripping out the value cover mount, like in that picture will.

\/ red line is where I'm talking about cutting the cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
smileymattj, that's a picture from BIGROB, that's what I want to avoid, if indeed the black valve cover piece is expensive.

I'm not sure I quite understand what you are saying (even with the diagram). I don't care at all about the silver plastic engine cover piece, those are easy to replace. The black piece underneath (the valve cover I guess) that is what I don't want to mess up if I can avoid it.

I don't have a drill or dremel to do any of the suggested solutions. I guess I can get/borrow them if needed though.

Again, the CEL went off right after I messed around with the engine cover. I wonder if one of the wires is just loose?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Does the bolt free spin? And won't back out?

Look as the BIGROB pic, there is a brass threaded insert in the screw hole that isn't broken. That is probably spinning on yours that won't come out. It is molded into the plastic, but if too much pressure is applied to it the plastic will give and not hold it anymore, not allowing the screw to come out.

If that's the case then you will either need to drill the bolt out or cut the silver cover. Either way the threaded sleeve in the value cover is damaged, you're most likely not going to get a bolt back in it. But missing one bolt is better than having to replace the valve cover.

Because the bolt is recessed in the plastic my diagram is trying to show cut the plastic inside the recession.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
you dont have a drill bit set?
wait, lanky kid that works at a library.. yeah, you don't have a bit set.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts