Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the brake balance in our cars? I'm at my wits end. I've been through two sets of rear brake pads and only replaced the fronts once. I first noticed it last year when I replaced the rears and noticed that they went out way to early. Took it to the dealer to have the brake system checked because something was obviously wrong. So the dealer checked them out, said they found nothing wrong, then charged $50 on top of that. Now that the second set of rears are burned up, I'll be damned if I'm gonna go back to the dealer so they can tell me nothing is wrong again. So if I can't fix the thing myself, I guess I will have to pay a brake shope to figure it out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
There really isnt much you can do with out adding an aftermarket brake bias controller. I have almost 60k on my car and the rear break shoes are original and the fronts were replaced by the dealer since their attempt at milling the rotors left rough metal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried that method the last time the rears went out and the dealer offered no help. Took it down a gravel road and jumped on the brakes to see which locked up first, fronts or rears, fronts still locked up first. The first set that went out quickly were OEM pads, put Raybestos rears on it during the first replacement, and now those are gone too. Going to try and talk to the local dealer today. See what they can do. If nothing, I'll try the dealer where I bought the car in the Bay Area.

·
-
471 Posts
Have you bled the system?

If you've got air in the front brake lines, the rears will have to take more of the load when braking. Other than that, all I can think of is that your rear calipers are hanging up, but that seems rather unlikely.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If the caliper slide pins are sticking, it'll hold the pad onto the rotor. If that was the case you'd probably also notice a lot of brake dust on your rear wheels.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that might be something in the caliper piston. Went to change the rear pads (again) last night when I ran into a little snag. The caliper piston on the passenger side was sticking. When I screwed the piston in to fit the new pads, it would not go down. Instead it just stayed in the same place. So I tried to unscrew it slightly to bring it out a little, then go back in. It came out as far is would go, then still wouldn't twist back in. I ended up bleeding the line and twisting and pushing on the piston until it finally broke free of it's snag then twisted smoothly in. The other side went off without a problem. The side with the sticky piston is also the side that shows the most brake dust on the wheel. I'll keep an eye on that side and if it starts showing alot of dust again, I'll just go buy a new rear caliper from the Hyundai recycler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts