Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the proper sequence to bleed brake? Many people say that start from the farthest from the mastet cylinder. But HMA website states that it must be as follows:
1. Passenger side rear
2. Driver side front
3. Driver side rear
4. Passenger side front

What do you think?

·
Registered
417 Posts
ive always been taught that your first stated sequence is correct. rr lr lf then rf... the ASE mech coarse ive taken say the same thing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I flushed and bled the brake yesterday by myself because I didn't have a helper. After flushing and bleeding, braking is much better and I can feel the firmer pedal, but I still feel it a little soft when I brake. Probably I will try to bleed again on another day with a helper. One-man bleeding is a little difficult job. I had to remove rear wheels because I cannot have access to the bleeder valves. They are located behind the drums.
For the front wheels, I can bleed without removing them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, I don't. It looks like brake fluid comes out through the bleeder valve when the pedal is depressed, but sucks fluid back when the pedal is released. I pressed the pedal several times and came back to the wheel to check the bleeding tube. It's empty, but there is more fluid in the bottle. Someone suggest that I can use a long screw driver to stick between the brake pedal and the edge of the driver's seat, so it won't suck the fluid back. What do you think?

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I did my brake calipers, I had to heat the master cylinder with a torch to get the fluid to flow properly. My Elantra has ABS, but I don't think that matters.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Funny. My shop teacher that assisted was English. surely we are not going to heat up the plastic reservoir you scholars. I heated up close to where the line at the end exits and it started flowing again. It's a pretty well known procedure. Ask someone who knows something about cars.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
yeah or use a compressor and use a vacuum setting (one out in and another out...creates a vacuum)

abs DOES NOT MATTER...I have done a ton of bleeds over the years on my own car (with the abs/tcs) and other...no difference. Even the manual does not have a distinction.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used a gravity method using a soda bottle connected with a hose soaked with brake fluid. The one-man bleeding kit sold in stores didn't even fit to the bleeder valve.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
gravity is not going to do it...well it will...but not nearly as good as the other methods. you could also use a piece of 2x4...just slide it into place when the pedal is all the way down, tighten the screw and then do it again and again...its a PITA but it could work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK

First comment is that I'm Canadian, living in Australia. So to he person who said Canadians say torch instead of flashlight -- nah -- I've been here for 5 years and I STILL say torch when I'm asking for a torch that throws a flame ;)

They always pass me a flashlight :(

But anyway, is the brake bleed sequence any different here in OZ (is the master cylinder placed on the opposite side?)

That is, seeing that the driver sits on the right side instead of the left side of the vehicle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The driver sits on the right size instead of the left? WHAAA? They have been assembling their cars backwards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts